MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- International Cooperation Section
Honors and Awards
- Letter acknowledging her worldwide accomplishments in medical librarianship signed by MLA Executive Director Kevin Baliozian and MLA 2020 President Julia Esparza, AHIP, 2020
- Honorary Member, 2000
- Special Issue of Health Information and Libraries Journal devoted to Shane Godbolt, 2020
- European Association for Health Information and Libraries (EAHIL): Award, 2020
- UK Library and Information Association (CILIP): Presidential Citation, 2019; Cyril Bernard Memorial Prize for Outstanding Services to the Profession, 1986
- Association for Health Information and Libraries in Africa (AHILA): Award, 2019
- Open University: Honorary master of the university degree, 2014
- UK Library Association: one of 100 recipients of the Royal Centenary Charter Award 1898–1998, 1998; Associate, 1968; Fellowship, 1975
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- Known for creating networks among medical librarians and promoting professional cooperation
- Made important contributions to the health sciences library profession in the United Kingdom, the United States, continental Europe, and Africa in the areas of administration, research, publishing, and international librarianship and brought people together by transmitting technological and sociological developments across the continents
- Regularly attended and contributed to MLA meetings and meetings of the European Association for Health Information and Libraries (EAHIL), the Association for Health Information and Libraries in Africa (AHILA), the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA), and the African Hospital Libraries (AHL)
- Founding member of EAHIL, 1986
- Founded Health Libraries Review (later, Health Information and Libraries Journal) and served as editor from 1984–1999
Publications (5 representative)
- Cheeseborough J, Godbolt S, Grant MJ. Getting involved in international development activities: UK initiatives and hidden benefits. Health Inf Libr J. 2015 Mar;32(1):1–4.
- Shaw JG, Godbolt S. Practitioner commentary on: Hoppenbrouwer J, Kanyengo CW. Current access to health information in Zambia: a survey of selected health institutions. Health Inf Libr J. 2007 Dec;24(4):246–56. Health Inf Libr J. 2008 Dec;25(suppl 1):83–5.
- Godbolt S, Williamson J, Wilson A. From vision to reality—managing change in the provision of library and information services to nurses, midwives, health visitors and PAMs (professions allied to medicine): a case study of the North Thames experience with the Inner London Consortium. Health Libr Rev. 1997 Jun;14(2):73–95.
- Morton LT, Godbolt S, eds. Information sources in the medical sciences. 4th ed. New York, NY: Bowker-Saur; 1992
- Godbolt S, Hague H, Wentz R, Whitsed N. Resources and courses for second year medical students–an approach to curriculum change. In: Bakker S, Cleland MC, eds. Information transfer - new age - new ways. Proceedings of the third European Conference of Medical Libraries; Montpellier, France; September 23–26, 1992. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishing; 1993.
- Independent health information professional, 2018–2019
- Director, Partnerships in Health Information (PHI), 2006–2016
- Chair, PHI, 2004–2006
- Founder and Trustee, PHI, 1992–2019
- Spokesperson, North Thames Regional Library and Information Unit, National Health Service (later, Library and Information Development Unit), 1992–2003
- Librarian and Deputy Librarian, Charing Cross Hospital Medical School, 1970–1992
- Librarian, St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, London, 1967–1970
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Squires SJ, ed. Proceedings, One Hundredth Annual Meeting, Medical Library Association, Inc. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada May 5–11, 2000. Presentation of awards. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 2001 Jan;89(1):108–9.
- Verchot M. Information Sources in the Medical Sciences. 4th ed. Edited by Leslie Morton and Shane Godbolt [book review]. London, UK: Bowker-Saur, 1992. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1994 Jan;82(1):90–1.
- Ayres JE. Health Libraries Review: a journal for medical health and welfare librarians. Edited by S. Godbolt [review]. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1986 Apr;74(2):171.
- Collins AMK. Godbolt S, Munford WA. The incomparable Mac: a biographical study of Sir John Young Walker MacAlister (1856–1925) [book review]. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1984 Jul;72(3):321–2.
- Postgraduate diploma in librarianship, Polytechnic of North London, 1967
- BA, history, Bedford College, University of London, 1965
Contributed by Donna Flake, AHIP, FMLA, and Diane McKenzie, FMLA