MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Librarians without Borders Committee, member, 2009–present
- MLA Sister Library Initiative with Latvia and Antigua, chair, 1999–2003
- European Association for Health Information and Libraries, MLA representative, 1995–2001
- MLA Taskforce to Improve the Cunningham Fellowship, chair, 1999–2000
- International Cooperation Section: chair, 2004
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter/MLA: Local Arrangements Committee, Wilmington, NC, chair, 1999
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1998
- Lois Ann Colaianni Award for Excellence and Achievement in Hospital Librarianship, 201
- T. Mark Hodges International Service Award, 2009
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter/MLA, Librarian of the Year, 2000
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- Established and maintained a Sister Library Partnership between the South East Area Health Education Center (SEAHEC) Library in Wilmington, NC, and the Scientific Medical Library of Moldova
- EBSCO Advisory Council, member, 2008–present
- Elsevier Foundation’s Innovative Libraries in Developing Countries Program, special advisor and reviewer, 2009–2014
- Family Physicians Inquiries Network, member, 2003–2014
- International Federation of Library Association (IFLA), Committee to Award Scholarships to Librarians from African Nations, Boston, member, 2001
- Integrated the library’s electronic resources with New Hanover Regional Medical Center’s electronic medical record system
- Obtained funding and created a full-service consumer health library
- Created and sustained a Friends of the Library program that brought in over $500,000
Publications (5 representative)
- Matthews A, Flake D. Everything you need in an electronic medical record (EMR): from patients to diagnoses to librarians. J Hosp Librariansh. 2016 Apr;16(2):97–106.
- Flake D, Poznaka V. Innovative interlibrary loan program linking Eastern Europe’s Latvia with US and Canadian medical libraries. J Interlibrary Loan Doc Delivery Electronic Reserve. 2007;17(3):9–14.
- Flake D. Consumer health information in action: profiles of 12 innovative libraries. In: Rees A, ed. Consumer health information source book. 7th ed. Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishing; 2003.
- Flake D, Verhoeven A, Robu I. The Cunningham Fellowship: three international points of view. Health Inform Libr J. 2001 Jun;18(2):117–24.
- Flake DB. The National Health Service and medical libraries in England. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1986 Jan;74(1):6–11 [cited 20 Jul 2016].
- Library Director, Robert M. Fales, Health Sciences Library, South East Area Health Education Center, Wilmington, NC, 1992–present
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Family Medicine, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 2007–present
- Consultant, Coastal Consumer Health Library, New Hanover Regional Medical Center, Wilmington, NC, 1997–2000
- Director, Health Sciences Library, Memorial Medical Center, Savannah, GA, 1987–1991
- Head of Reference, Assistant Professor, Head of Circulation, and Reference Librarian, Health Sciences Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC, 1976–1986
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Alpi KM, Delgado D, eds. Awards ceremony. Proceedings, 109th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., Honolulu, HI May 15–20, 2009. J Med Libr Assoc. 2010 Jan;98(1):E1–E39. [cited 20 Jul 2016]. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1559-9439.98.1.E1.
- MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship. MLA News. 2016 May;56(5):15. [cited 20 Jul 2016].
- MS, administrative services with a concentration in health administration, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC, 1983
- MS, library science, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1976
- BA, English/education, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1974