MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Ethics Committee, Member, 2008–2009
- Ad Hoc Committee on Scholarly Communications, Member, 2007–2010
- American Medical Informatics Association, Medical Library Association Representative, 1999–2005
- Nominating Committee, Member, 1999–2000
- Principles for Licensing Electronic Resources Working Group, Medical Library Association and Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries Representative, 1997
- Medical Informatics Career Development Award, Jury Chair, 1996–1998
- 1987 National Program Committee, Member, 1985–1987
- Section/Chapter Compliance Task Force, Member, 1995–1996
- Medical Informatics Section, Nominating Committee, Member, 1998
- Medical Informatics Section, Chair-Elect and Chair, 1994–1996
- Section Council, Representative and Vice-Chair, 1989–1992; Alternate Representative, 1987–1989
- Chapter Council Representative, Subcommittee on Compliance, Chair, 1982–1984
- Medical Library Association, Instructor, 1978
- Midcontinental Chapter: Annual Meeting Committee Chair, 1983; Chair, 1978–1979; Nominating Committee, Chair, 1976–1977; Secretary-Treasurer, 1975–1976
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries: Board, Member, 2010–2012; Statistics Editorial Board, Member, 2001–2005; Ad Hoc Committee on Scholarly Communication, chair, 2003–2008; representative to develop the ‘‘Principles for Licensing Electronic Resources,” 1998
- Pacific Southwest Regional Medical Library: Regional Advisory Committee, Member, 1995–1998; Resource Library Directors, Member, 1995–
- University of California–San Francisco: Western Association of Schools and College Accreditation Steering Committee, Member, 2006–2010; Academic Computing Advisory Committee, Chair, 2001–2005; Integrated Advanced Information Management Systems (IAIMS) World Wide Web Editorial Board, Chair, 1995–1996
- University of California: University Librarians: Chair, 2003–2005; Northern California Regional Library Board, Chair, 2001–2004
- American Medical Association: JAMA, Reviewer
- American Medical Informatics Association, Reviewer
- League of Women Voters: Salt Lake City: President, 1985; Alameda: President, 1996–1998; Board, 1994–2001
- Alameda City Library Board, Member, 2000–2010; President, 2001–2003; 2006–2007
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2011
- Thomson Reuters/Frank Bradway Rogers Information Advancement Award for Legacy Tobacco Documents Library, 2007
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Who’s Who in America, 65th edition, 2011
- Who’s Who of American Women, 2008–2009
- National Library of Medicine/Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries Leadership Fellows Mentor, 2003–2004
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Persily GL, Butter KA, Reinvisioning and redesigning a library for the fifteenth through twenty-first centuries: a case study on loss of space from the Library and Center for Knowledge Management, University of California, San Francisco. J Med Lib Assoc. 2010 Jan;98(1):44–8. [cited 12 Jun 2012].
- Butter KA. New technologies: now and the future. In: Wood S, ed. Current practices in health sciences librarianship. v. I: reference. Medical Library Association and Scarecrow Press; 1994.
- Butter KA. Red Sage: the next step in delivery of electronic journals. Med Ref Serv Q. 1994 Fall;13(3):75–81.
- Lucier RE, Matheson NW, Reynolds RE, Butter KA. The knowledge workstation: an electronic environment for knowledge management. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1988 Jul;76(3):248–55. [cited 12 Jun 2012].
- Peay WJ, Butter KA, Dougherty NA. IAIMS and the library at the University of Utah. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1986 Jul;74(3):238–42. [cited 12 Jun 2012].
- University Librarian and Assistant Vice Chancellor, Library Services and Instructional Technology, Library and Center for Knowledge Management, University of California–San Francisco, 2000
- Acting University Librarian, 1998–2000
- Deputy Director, 1993–2000
- Director, Information Resources and Services, 1992–1993
- Deputy Director, William H. Welch Medical Library, and Research Associate, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 1990–1992
- Associate Director for Information Systems Services, 1986–1990
- Administrative Manager, National Library of Medicine-Integrated Advanced Information Management Systems Contract, Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library, University of Utah–Salt Lake City, 1983–1985
- Head, Public Services and Assistant Librarian, 1978–1983
- Extension Librarian and Affiliate Librarian, 1974–1978
- Reference Librarian, Library, St. Luke's Hospital, Kansas City, MO, 1972–1974
MLA published statements about the fellow
Alpi KM, Delgado D, eds. Awards Ceremony. Proceedings, 111th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Minneapolis, MN May 13–18, 2011. J Med Lib Assoc. 2012 Jan;10(1):E1–E26. [cited 12 Jun 2012 ].
- MLS, Emporia State University, Emporia, KS, 1972
- BA, Sociology, University of California–Berkeley, 1970
Contributed by Karen Butter