MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- MLA Board of Directors, member, 2008–2011
- Estelle Brodman Academic Librarian of the Year Award Jury, chair, 2012–2013
- Section Council, chair, 2008–2011; chair-elect, 2007–2008
- Planning Group for Health Information Literacy Session, MLA 2007 Annual Meeting, cochair, 2005–2007
- MLA Scholarship Jury, chair, 2004–2005
- National Program Committee, member, 2003
- Nursing and Allied Health Resources Section (NAHRS), Section Council representative 2006–2008; Section Council alternate, 2005–2006; Awards Committee, chair, 2000–2001; Nominating Committee, chair, 1999–2000; Strategic Planning Committee, chair, 1999–2000; section chair, 1998–1999; section chair-elect and program planner, 1997–1998; Governmental Relations Committee, chair, 1995–1996; Membership Committee, chair, 1993–1995
- Southern Chapter, Local Arrangements Committee, chair, 2014 meeting; Strategic Planning Committee, chair, 2008–2009; chapter chair, 2007–2008; chair-elect and Program Planning Committee chair, 2006–2007; research mentor, 2003–; Communications Committee, chair 2003–2005; Nominating Committee, member, 1996–1997
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2014
- Estelle Brodman Award for the Academic Medical Librarian of the Year, 2002
- Academic Medical Librarian of the Year, Southern Chapter, 2001
- Award for Professional Excellence, Nursing and Allied Health Resources Section, 2000
- Ida and George Eliot Prize, 1999: “Mapping the Literature of Allied” (contributed two articles to the project. Burnham J. Mapping the literature of radiologic technology. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1997 Jul;85(3):289–92 [cited 28 May 2014]. and Burnham J. Mapping the literature of respiratory therapy. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1997 Jul;85(3):293‑6 [cited 28 May 2014].)
- Continuing Education Award, 1992
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member, 1991
- Inspiring People in Our Region Award, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Southeastern/Atlantic Region, 2012
- Distinguished Library Award, Consortium of Southern Biomedical Libraries, 2009
- National Library of Medicine (NLM)/Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL) Leadership Fellow, 2004-2005
- Publication Award, Alabama Library Association, College, University and Special Libraries Section, 1999
- One of twenty librarians listed on NLM website during National Medical Librarians Month, 1997
- Achievement Award, Alabama Health Libraries Association, 1997
- Beta Phi Mu, 1990
- Scholarship Award, Library Science Student Association, University of Southern Mississippi, 1989
- EBSCO Scholarship, awarded by Alabama Library Association, 1988
- Phi Kappa Phi, 1987
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- Committed to serving her community with such activities as being on the Board of Health InfoNet of Alabama, coordinating and teaching classes on library literacy skills for the Community Health Advocates, and teaching website searching and evaluation skills to high performing youth in low performance schools as part of Stars and Stripes project
- Association of Academic Health Science Libraries, Program and Education Committee, member, 2010–2013
- Consortium of Southern Biomedical Libraries (CONBLS), chair, 2012–2013; chair-elect, 2011–2012; secretary, 2008–2011
- University of South Alabama, Wesley Foundation Board of Directors, member, 2006–2012; secretary, 2006–2010
- Alabama Library Association Convention Planning Committee, treasurer/Special Projects, 1995–1996; Convention Registration Committee, member, 1995–1996; College University and Special Libraries (CUS), division liaison, 2003–2004; CUS member-at-large and Program Planning Committee chair, 1993–1995; CUS Nominating Committee, member, 1985; Health Sciences Roundtable, secretary, 1984–1986
- Alabama Union List of Serials (AULS) Advisory Committee, member, 1998–2000
- Bay Area Library Association, president, 1992
Publications (5 representative)
- Rossini B, Burnham J, Wright A. Librarian’s role in enrichment program for high school students interested in the health professions. Med Ref Serv Q. 2013 Jan;32(1):73-85.
- Fell DW, Burnham JF, Buchanan MJ, Horchen HA, Scherr JA. Mapping the core journals of the physical therapy literature. J Med Lib Assoc. 2011 Jul;99(3):202–7 [cited 6 Jun 2014]. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.99.3.007.
- Li J, Runderson RA, Burnham JF, Staggs GB, Robertson JC, Williams TL. Delivering distance training to rural health care professionals. Med Ref Serv Q. 2005 Spring;24(1):41–54.
- Burnham JF, Perry M. Promotion of health information access via Grateful Med and Loansome Doc: why isn’t it working? Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1996 Oct;84(4):498–506 [cited 28 May 2014].
- Burnham J, Shearer B, Wall J. Combining new technologies for effective collection development: a bibliometric study using CD–ROM and a database management program. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1992 Apr;80(2):150–6 [cited 28 May 2014].
- Director, 2007–; Interim Director, 2006–2007; Associate Director, 2005–2006; Assistant Director for Administrative and Regional Services 1998–2005; Assistant Director for Regional Services, 1995–1998; UMC Site Coordinator, 1991–1995; Information Services Librarian, 1989–1991; Biomedical Library, University of South Alabama–Mobile
- Graduate Assistant, Media Lab Assistant, School of Library Science, University of Southern Mississippi–Hattiesburg, 1988–1989
- Secretary/Administrative Assistant in various departments including Special Activities, Academics, and the Preventive Medicine Clinic, 1984–1988; Acting Librarian/Assistant Librarian, 1981–1984; United States Sports Academy, Daphne, AL
- Library Assistant, Mobile Public Library, Mobile, AL, 1970–1974
MLA published statements about the fellow
- MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship. MLA News. 2014 May;54(5)13, 29. <https://www.mlanet.org/members/mla_news/2014/may_14/awards.html>.
- Fulda PO, Satterthwaite RK, eds. Proceedings, 102d Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Dallas, Texas May 17–23, 2002. Awards (Estelle Brodman Award for the Academic Medical Librarian of the Year). J Med Lib Assoc. 2003 Jan;91(1):122–3 [cited 29 May 2014].
- Squires SJ, ed. Proceedings, Ninety-ninth Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Chicago, Illinois May 14–19, 1999. Awards. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 2000 Jan;88(1):111–2 [cited 29 May 2014].
- MS, master of library science, School of Library Service, University of Southern Mississippi–Hattiesburg, 1989
- BS, bachelor of science, PSPA (personalized study program for adults) with emphasis in library science and educational media, University of South Alabama–Mobile, 1988 [graduated magna cum laude; Outstanding Senior Project]
- Associate of arts, Western Oklahoma State College–Altus, 1968