The MLA InSight Initiative’s first summit, Engaging Users in a Disruptive Era, will take place March 6–7, 2018, in Chicago, Illinois. Confirmed participating organizations are American Psychiatric Association Publishing, Annual Reviews, BMJ Publishing, Elsevier, F1000, The JAMA Network, McGraw-Hill Education, NEJM Group, Springer Nature, and Wolters Kluwer.
MLA seeks twelve to fifteen librarian participants who have professional knowledge, expertise, and interest in leveraging specialized discovery tools, understanding security and Internet protocol (IP) authentication, learning about pirate sites, and envisioning the ideal social networking site for collaboration. Participants are expected to fulfill their commitment to the preparatory work and post-summit activities.
Consider applying as a librarian participant if:
- You have professional knowledge, expertise, and interest in the summit theme; and
- You will commit to:
- attending the summit;
- engaging in between three and five hours of preparatory work (pre-summit);
- actively participating in and contributing to the work of the summit; and
- completing up to ten hours of follow-up work (post-summit activities and products).
There is no registration fee for librarian participants. MLA will support the travel expenses of librarian participants (summit hotel and transportation) up to $800. This is made possible through the generous support of our Inaugural Sponsors for summits 1 and 2: the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL), with a $15,000 grant to support librarian participant travel expenses, and Elsevier, with a $12,000 grant to support the $0-registration fee for librarian participants.
Librarian application instructions:
- Select “InSight Initiative Summit” in the drop-down menu to access the application.
- MLA members must log in (MLA membership preferred but not required).
- Non-MLA-members must create a guest user profile to log in. See the MLANET login page.
- Complete the online form and upload all documents no later than January 15, 11:59 p.m., central time.
- Incomplete and late submissions will not be considered.
Applications for librarian participation are open through 11:59 p.m., central time, on January 15, 2018. The InSight Initiative Task Force will select and notify participants of their selection by February 1, 2018.
For questions regarding the summit or the application process, please contact Mary Langman, director, Information Issues and Policy, MLA.