Year Fellowship Conferred: 2010
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Nominating Committee, member, 2001, 2011
- Interagency Council on Information Resources for Nursing (ICIRN), MLA representative, 1999–2005
- Evidence-Based Nursing Practice: Needs, Tools, Solutions Symposium, chair, 2003
- Evidence-based Nursing Practice Symposium, chair, 2003
- Annual Meeting, continuing education instructor, 1991, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2002, 2005
- Nursing and Allied Health Resources Section, founding member; Section Council representative, 1989–1992; Task Force to Map the Literature of Nursing, cochair, 1999–; NAHRS/International Academy of Nursing Editors Survey, cochair, 2010; Newsletter Literature Review, author and column editor, 1992–2004; Program Committee: member 1990–1992, 2002–2003;Research Committee, chair, 1996– ; Journal Lists for Nursing & Allied Health Subcommittee, cochair, 2012– ; Task Force to Evaluate Search Engines for MEDLINE, CINAHL, and Rndex, chair, 1997–1998; Honors Committee, cochair, 1997 – 98; Governmental Relations, chair, 1993–1995; Honors Committee: chair, 1992–1993; Interest Group Subcommittee, chair 1990–1992; chair, 1988–1989
- Scholarship Jury, chair, 1989–1990
- Midwest Chapter, representative-at-large, 1997–1998
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2010
- Nursing and Allied Health Resources Section, Special Recognition, 2003
- Librarian of the Year, Award for Excellence, Nursing and Allied Health Resources Section, 1994 (first awardee)
- Approved continuing education instructor, 1986–
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- ACE Lectureship, 5th Annual Summer Institute on Evidence-Based Practice, San Antonio, TX, 2006
- One of ten experts interviewed for Detwiler SM. Super searchers on health & medicine: the online secrets of top health & medical researchers. Medford, NJ: Cyber-Age Books, Information Today; 2000
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Coordinated Hmong Health Education Network and Hmonghealth.org, Wausau Area Hmong Mutual Assistance Association
- Helped establish University of Wisconsin–Eau Claire, satellite bachelor’s of science in nursing program in Marshfield
- Editor, International Nursing Index, American Journal of Nursing, 1996–1997
Publications (5 representative)
- Allen M, ed. NAHRS 2012 selected list of nursing journals [Internet]. Nursing and Allied Health Resources Section [cited 25 Nov 2012].
- Allen M, Allison MM, Bandy MM, Kennedy JC, Sherwill-Navarro P. The Magnet journey: opportunities for librarians to partner with nurses. J Med Lib Assoc. 2009 Apr;97(4):302–7 [Cited 23 Nov 2012]. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.97.4.015
- Allen M, Jacobs SK, Levy JR. Mapping the literature of nursing: 1996–2000. J Med Lib Assoc. 2006 Apr;94(2):206–20 [Cited 25 Nov 2012].
- Allen M. Evaluating search engines: task force progress report. NAHRS Newsletter. 1998 Mar;18(1):4, 6–8.
- Allen M. Celebrating nursing history: what to keep [Internet]. Nursing Information Access; 1996 [Cited 26 Nov 2012].
- Health Knowledge Consultants, 2009–
- Consultant, Cinahl Information Systems (indexed websites and developed/wrote Search Strategies feature for CINAHL Plus), 1998–2007
- Outreach Services Consultant, Marshfield Clinic and Area Health Education Centers (AHECs), 1993–2006
- Indexer, Silver Platter RNdex, 1993–1995
- Consultant, CINAHL Information Systems and Northern Wisconsin Area Health Education Center, Stratford, WI
- Processing Coordinator and Reference Librarian, University of Wisconsin–Stevens Point, 1990–1993
- Librarian, St. Joseph’s Hospital Learning Resource Center, Marshfield, WI, 1975–1990
- Librarian, Fairview Community Hospitals, Minneapolis, MN, 1969–1973
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Alpi KM, Delgado D. Proceedings, 110th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Washington, DC, May 21–26, 2010: awards. J Med Lib Assoc. 2011 Jan;99(1):E1–E45 [Cited 26 Nov 12].
- MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship. MLA News. 2010 Jun–Jul;50(6):16 [Cited 25 Sep 2013].
- Vote for candidates in 2006/07 election. MLA News. 2005 Nov–Dec;381:28 [Cited 26 Nov 2012].
- MA, library science, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 1969
- BA, political science, Macalester College, St Paul, Minnesota (National Merit Scholar)