You are here
Carolyn E. Lipscomb
Carolyn E. Lipscomb, AHIP
Year Fellowship Conferred: 2014
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Oral History Project, director, 2009–
- Journal of the Medical Library Association/Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, history editor, 1996–2005
- Fellows and Honorary Members Jury, chair, 1997–1998
- Knowledge and Skills Task Force, member, 1990–1993
- Publications Committee, chair, 1990–1991
- National Program Committee, 1988 Annual Meeting, associate chair, 1985–1988
- Rittenhouse Award Subcommittee, chair, 1981–1982
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter, Legislation Committee, chair, 1979–1980; Nominating Committee, chair, 1977
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2014
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member, 1990–
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries, Cornerstone Award, 2013
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries, Future Leadership Committee, program manager, 2001–2013
- Helped found and manage National Library of Medicine/Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries Leadership Fellows Program; developed recruitment guide for academic health sciences library directors
- University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, School of Information and Library Science, National Library of Medicine education and training planning grant, project coordinator, 1995–1997
- University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, Health Sciences Library: Search Committee, chair, 1981–1989; Staff Development Committee, chair,1980–1984, 1987–1989; Committee on Appointments and Promotions, chair,1980–1981; News & Views (library newsletter), editor, 1978–1985
Publications (5 representative)
- Lipscomb CE, Martin ER, Peay WJ. Building the next generation of leaders: the NLM/AAHSL Leadership Fellows Program. J Lib Admin 2009 Nov–Dec;49(8):847–67.
- Lipscomb CE. Race and librarianship: part I [historical notes]. J Med Lib Assoc. 2004 Jul;92(3):299–301 [cited 5 Jun 2014].
- Lipscomb CE, Moran BB, Jenkins CG, Cogdill KW, Friedman CP, Gollop CJ, Moore ME, Morrison ML, Tibbo HR, Wildemuth BM. Feasibility and marketing studies of health sciences librarianship education programs. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1999 Jan;87(1):50–7 [cited 5 Jun 2014].
- Lipscomb CE, ed. Centennial issue, 1898–1998. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1998 Apr;86(2):155–300 [cited 5 Jun 2014].
- Lipscomb CE, ed. Information access and delivery in health sciences libraries. Lanham, MD: Medical Library Association and Scarecrow Press; 1996. (Current practice in health sciences librarianship, v.3.)
- Consultant, 1990–; Assistant to the Director, 1991–1992; Assistant Director for Human Resources and Communication/Coordinator for Staff Development and Publications, 1981–1989; Head, Circulation/Interlibrary Loan Services, 1977–1981; Reference Librarian, 1974–1977; Assistant Cataloger, 1972–1973; Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill
- Entry Editor, National Serials Data Program, Library of Congress, Washington, DC, 1974
- Contract Cataloger, National Medical Audiovisual Center, Atlanta, GA, 1972
MLA published statements about the fellow
- MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship. MLA News. 2014 May;54(5)13, 29. <https://www.mlanet.org/members/mla_news/pastissue.html>.
- MSLS, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1971
- BA, English, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, 1970