MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Henry L. Lemkau Jr.
Fellowship Conferred: 2004
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Nominating Committee of the International Cooperation Committee, chair, 1997-98
- Board of Directors, member, 1989-92
- International Cooperation Committee, chair, 1988-89
- Health Sciences Libraries Survey Committee, chair, 1975-77
- Southern Chapter
- Local Arrangements Committee, Southern Chapter Annual Meeting, chair, 2003
- Chair, 1985/86 Southern Chapter
- Upstate New York/Ontario Regional Group
- Continuing Education Committee, chair, 1977/78
- Annual Meeting, program chair, 1975
- New York Regional Group
Honors and Awards
- Lecturer, Seventh Ralph H. and Ruth F. Gross Lecture, 53rd Annual Meeting of the Southern Chapter/MLA, 2003.
- Lecturer, Eighth Peter N. Pastore Lecture at the Digital Libraries in the New Millennium: Building on our Past Conference, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1998.
- Keynote Speaker, Argentine Medical Library Association Meeting,1985.
Publications (5 representative)
- Burrows S, Moore KM, Arriaga J, Paulaitis G, Lemkau HL Jr. Developing an “Evidence-
Based Medicine and Use of the Biomedical Literature” component as a longitudinal theme of an outcomes-based medical school curriculum: year 1. J Med.Libr Assoc 2003 Jan; 91(1):34-41.
- Burrows S, Moore KM, Lemkau HL Jr. Creating a web-accessible, point-of-care, team-based information system(PoinTIS); the librarian as publisher. Bull.Med.Lib.Assoc 2001 Apr; 89(2): 154-64.
- Burrows S, Perry MJ, Tylman VT, Lemkau, HL Jr. The Southeast Florida AIDS
Information Network; a community outreach, specialized information system. Med
Ref Serv Quart 1994 Spring; 13(1): 1-18.
- Lemkau, HL Jr, Burrows S, Stolz F. An intrapreneurial approach to integrating
information production services into an academic medical center library. Bull Med Libr
Assoc 1991 Jul; 79(3): 271-5.
- Williams TL, Lemkau HL Jr, Burrows S. The economics of academic health sciences libraries: cost recovery in the era of big science. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1988 Oct; 76(4): 317-322.
- Director and Professor, Louis Calder Memorial Library and Chairman Department of Library
and Biomedical Communications, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL,
1979 – present
- Director and Assistant Professor of Medical Bibliography, Edward G. Miner Library, University of
Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY, 1970-79
- Branch Librarian and Assistant Professor, Basic Sciences Branch Library, Mount Sinai School of
Medicine, New York, NY, 1968-70
- Librarian, Serials, Mount Sinai Hospital Library, New York, NY, 1966-68
- Head of Circulation and Reference Assistant, Mount Sinai Hospital Library, New York, NY, 1966
- Reference Assistant, The New York Academy of Medicine Library. New York, NY, 1963-1966
Edited June 17, 2004