MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Estelle Brodman, Ph.D
Fellowship Conferred: 2004
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- President, 1964-65
- Committee on Continuing Education, chair, 1963
- Editor, Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, 1949-1957
Honors and Awards
- Estelle Brodman Award for the Academic Medical Librarian of the Year, 1986
- Thomson Reuters/Frank Bradway Rogers Information Advancement Award, 1985
- Fellow, 1981
- Murray Gottlieb Prize, 1977
- Marcia C. Noyes Award, 1971
- Janet Doe Lecture, 1971
- D.Sc. (h.c.), University of Illinois, 1974
- Member, Biomedical Communications Study Section, National Institutes of Health, 1971-75, Chair, 1973-75
- Member, Presidentís National Advisory Commission on Libraries, 1966-68
- Expert Consultant for Documentation, Central Family Planning Council, New Delhi, India (under U.N. Technical
Assistance Board), 1967-68
- Member, Library Guidelines Committee, American Association of Medical Colleges, 1963-64
- Visiting Professor (Rockefeller Foundation Fellowship), Keio University, 1962
- Special Libraries Association, Director, 1949-52
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of
the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central http://pubmedcentral.gov/
- Brodman E, Carrick EB. American military medicine in the mid-nineteenth century: the experience of Alexander H.
Hoff, M.D. Bull Hist Med. 1990 Spring;64(1):63-78
- Brodman E. Automation in medical libraries. In: Annan GL, Felter JW, eds. Handbook of medical library practice.
3rd ed. Chicago: Medical Library Association, 1970. p. 198-221.
- Pizer IH, Franz DR, Brodman E. Mechanization of library procedures in the medium-sized medical library. I.
The serial record. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1963 Jul;51(3):313-38.
- Brodman E. Japanese medical libraries. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1963 Jan;51(1):16-25.
- Brodman E. Development of medical bibliography. Medical Library Association: Baltimore, 1954.
- Director, Washington University School of Medicine Library, St. Louis, MO, 1961-1980
- Assistant Librarian for Reference Services, National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD, 1949 -1961
- Columbia University Medical Library, New York, NY, 1937-1949
- Cornell University Nursing School Library, New York, NY, 1937
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Braude, RM. A medical librarianís progress. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1998 Apr;86(2):157-65. [cited September 13,
- Honors and Awards. Proceedings, 81st Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Montreal, Canada May
29-June 4, 1981. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1982 January; 70(1):89 [cited September 13, 2008]
- Medical Library Association. Oral History Committee interview with Estelle Brodman. Interview conducted
November 22, 1978 by Mrs. Bertell and others, interview conducted May 10, 1981 by Nancy Whitten Zinn.
Chicago: Medical Library Association, 1985? [cited September 13, 2008]
- Doe J. The Brodman decade. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1957 Oct;45(3):424-5. [Cited September 13, 2008]
- Annan, GL. Estelle Brodman, Ph.D. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1957 Oct;45(4):581-3. [cited September 13, 2008]
Contributed by Wayne Peay
Edited, September 13, 2008