You are here
Estelle Brodman Award for the Academic Medical Librarian of the Year
The Estelle Brodman Award recognizes an academic medical librarian at mid-career level who demonstrates significant achievement, the potential for leadership, and continuing excellence. This award honors Estelle Brodman’s exemplary career as educator, seminal thinker, able administrator, technological innovator, and skillful practitioner. The Brodman Award was established in 1986 and is sponsored by a bequest of Irwin H. Pizer. The recipient receives a certificate at the association’s annual meeting and a cash award of $500 after the annual meeting.
- The nominee must be a member of MLA.
- The nominee must be in “mid-career” at the time of the award, defined as someone working at least 5 and not more than 15 years in an academic health sciences library; the nominee may not be a library director.
- The nominee must have worked in an academic health sciences library for each of the last five years immediately preceding the nomination, and must be an academic health sciences librarian at the time of the award.
- The nomination may be made for outstanding national or international contributions to academic health sciences librarianship as demonstrated by excellence in performance (leadership), publications, research, service, or a combination of these four elements.
- The nominee must show potential for leadership and continuing excellence at mid-career in the area of academic health sciences librarianship.
- Nominations and any supporting documentation must be received at MLA headquarters no later than November 1.
- Nomination must contain at least the following elements:
- A precise description of the nominee’s achievements;
- A current curriculum vitae; and
- Any further information which may assist the jury in the evaluation of the nomination and the selection of the recipient.
The recipient will be notified in March before the annual meeting at which the presentation will be made. The recipient assumes all costs of attending the meeting and the ceremony at which the presentation is made. If there are no appropriate candidates, the association may elect not to make the award in a given year.
READY TO SUBMIT A NOMINATION? Click here to proceed to the nomination form.
Contact MLA (312.419.9094 x15) for more information.
Past Award Recipients
- 2015: Melissa Rethlefsen, AHIP
- 2014: Julia Esparza, AHIP
- 2013: Gurpreet Rana
- 2012: Bart Ragon
- 2011: Nancy Tannery
- 2010: Stephanie Fulton
- 2009: none awarded
- 2008: none awarded
- 2007: Jan LaBeause
- 2006: Linda Walton
- 2005: Michele Tennant
- 2004: Kathyrn Nesbit (posthumously)
- 2003: Susan London
- 2002: Judith F. Burnham
- 2001: T. Scott Plutchak
- 2000: Jeanette C. McCray
- 1999: E. Diane Johnson
- 1998: Anne Wood Humphries
- 1997: M.J. Tooey
- 1996: Gale G. Hannigan
- 1995: David W. Boilard
- 1993: Julia Sollenberger
- 1992: Carolyn Anne Reid
- 1991: Richard E. Lucier
- 1990: Kathryn J. Hoffman
- 1989: Gail A. Yokote
- 1988: Audrey Powderly Newcomer