You are here
Virginia L. and William K. Beatty MLA Volunteer Service Award
The award was established in 2007 to recognizes a medical librarian who has demonstrated outstanding, sustained service to the Medical Library Association and the health sciences library profession. The nominee must be an "unsung hero" of MLA and have not served in an elected national leadership position or received a national MLA award prior to or at the time of the nomination. The award is named in honor of Virginia L. and William K. Beatty and recognizes their significant contributions to MLA and the profession as longtime volunteers to the association.
- The nominee must be a member of MLA for each of the last ten years immediately preceding the nomination.
- The nomination must be made for exceptional contribution(s) to furthering the mission, goals, and objectives of MLA and the profession as demonstrated by outstanding and significant service in the association’s leadership, publications, research, special projects, or combination of these four elements.
- The nominee must be an “unsung hero” of MLA and have not served in an elected national leadership position or received a national MLA award prior to or at the time of nomination. (Elected national leadership positions include serving on the MLA Board or as President-Elect).
- Nominations must be received at MLA no later than November 1.
- Nomination must be in writing and contain at least the following elements:
- A precise description of the nominee’s achievements.
- A current curriculum vitae or resume.
- Any further information which may assist the jury in the evaluation of the nomination and the selection of the recipient.
The recipient will be notified in March before the annual meeting at which the presentation will be made. The recipient receives a certificate of outstanding service at the association’s annual meeting and a cash award of $1,000 after the annual meeting. The recipient assumes all costs of attending the meeting and the ceremony at which the presentation is made. If there are no appropriate candidates, the association may elect not to make the award in a given year.
READY TO SUBMIT A NOMINATION? Click here to proceed to the nomination form.
Past Award Recipients
- 2015: Dolores Judkins, AHIP
- 2014: Janna Lawrence, AHIP
- 2013: none awarded
- 2012: Janet L. Cowen, AHIP
- 2011: Kay E. Wellik
- 2010: Ann C. Weller
- 2009: none awarded
- 2008: Logan Ludwig
Have a question? Contact MLA's Award Coordinator