MLA '09: A Green Meeting
The Hawaii Convention Center, the location of MLA ’09, has taken the following steps to become greener and more environmentally friendly.
- The design of the building, including a canvas-type sail located on the rooftop, allows for the Hawaiian trade winds to circulate air while venting off heat.
- Continue to operate A/C & Lighting by schedule to use energy wisely.
- Asks that all delegates be mindful of closing meeting room doors to save valuable a/c from escaping.
- All boxes used to ship to the Convention Center are processed in the on site cardboard bailer, and sent out for recycling.
- Automatic dispensers and motion sensitive equipment are installed in our restrooms and operate urinals, hand sinks, soap dispensers, paper towel dispensers, and hand sanitizing stations to reduce waste.
- Recycling of all glass, plastic, aluminum, and paper for all event and administration areas.
- Our kitchen utilizes a recycled water process for pre-treating dishes to remove solids prior going into the dishwasher.
- Kitchen grease traps are treated with ecologically friendly products, endorsed by the City’s Department of Environmental Services Pretreatment Program.
- All Chemicals purchased by our housekeeping, landscaping, and engineering departments are ecologically friendly.
- Any additional perishable, prepared (but not consumed) food is donated to Harbor House. (Harbor house is a distribution organization which provides services for needy families throughout Oahu.)
- All disposable service ware including hot cups, napkins, serving dishes and utensils are either made of 100% recycled products, or fully bio-degradable or compostable.
- We have just completed the installation of a new $370,000 energy management system that will optimize the utilization of the major equipment providing lighting & air conditioning to its most efficient use.
- We installed a Jockey Chiller System that operates based on low demand for A/C in the build and operates at 70% less energy than using the existing chillers.
- Refitted the entire garage lighting system from metal halide to T-8 fluorescent.
- Use energy efficient motion controlled flush valves on urinals & faucets in restrooms.
- Refit restrooms with automatic soap dispensers to control waste of product.
- Installed motion activated towel dispensers in all restrooms
- Refit the entire Exhibition Halls lighting from metal halide to a new improved high output T-8 fluorescent system.
- Refit all fire stairwells lighting with new energy efficient ballasts & bulbs controlled by motion detectors that will be energized as someone enters the stairwell rather than operating 24/7.
- Refit the entire Ballroom with new energy efficient bulbs & ballasts.
- Replaced the Center's (3) potable water pumps with a new pumping station that will operate at 1/2 the energy used by the original system.
- We have participated in HECO's Energy Rebate Programs & have received close to $30,000 in rebates and intend on submitting the new projects listed for possible rebates.
|THANKS TO OUR