MLA '05: San Antonio
San Antonio Library Guide
Like most cities, San Antonio has a wide variety of libraries. Many of
these, such as those on the area's four military bases and at private
research institutions, are not open to the public. The libraries listed
here are all open to the public and most are near downtown. They are listed
by proximity to the Henry B. González Convention Center area. Please
call before visiting; many academic libraries observe intersession hours
in May, which may not be reflected in the hours listed.
The Daughters of the Republic of Texas (Alamo)
300 Alamo Plaza (located in the Alamo Compound)
Hours: MondayFriday, 9:00 a.m.5:00 p.m.
Run by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, who are also the caretakers
of the Alamo (www.thealamo.org), the library collects materials related
to Texas history, particularly the period 1836 to 1846, when Texas was
an independent republic. As with many historical and rare collections,
the library's stacks are closed and strict usage guidelines are in place.
All personal items must be checked with the staff on duty, and all visitors
must sign in. Use of computers and cameras must be authorized by the staff.
Institute of Texan Cultures Library
801 S. Bowie (Downtown, near the Tower of the Americas)
Hours: MondayFriday, 10:00 a.m.5:00 p.m.
The Institute of Texan Cultures opened as the Texas Pavilion during HemisFair,
the 1968 World's Fair. Now a component of the University of Texas-San
Antonio, its displays and events feature the twenty-six ethnic and cultural
groups that contributed to the history of Texas. The institute's library
collects books, oral histories, and other materials, and the photo archives
include three million images reflecting everyday life and special events
in Texas from the nineteenth century to the present.
2nd floor of the Institute of Texan Cultures, 801 S. Bowie (Downtown,
near the Tower of the Americas)
Hours: MondayFriday, 1:00 p.m.5:00 p.m.
The UTSA Archives acquires, preserves, and provides access to primary
source materials that document the history of San Antonio and South Texas.
Collections include private papers and organizational and institutional
records documenting economic, social, cultural, and political trends of
significance to San Antonio. Special collections, all relating to the
population of San Antonio and South Texas, include the Archives for Research
on Women and Gender, the Mexican American Archives Project, and the Science,
Technology and Innovation Project.
San Antonio Public Library Central Library
600 Soledad (Downtown)
Hours: MondayThursday, 9:00 a.m.9:00 p.m.; FridaySaturday,
9:00 a.m.5:00 p.m.; Sunday, 11:00, a.m.5:00 p.m.
The "enchilada red" Central Library was designed by renowned
Mexican architect Ricardo Legorreta and opened in 1995. The atrium showcases
Dale Chihuly's colorful, 21-foot tall "Fiesta Tower," which
was installed in 2003 to commemorate the San Antonio Public Library's
centennial. (Chihuly's "Persian Ceiling" is permanently installed
at the San Antonio Museum of Art.) The 6-story Central Library features
a 5,000-volume Latino Collection emphasizing works depicting the Mexican-American
experience and an extensive collection of Texana. The San Antonio Public
Library system also includes 20 branch library locations, with 4 more
branches currently under construction.
The University of TexasSan Antonio (UTSA)
Buena Vista Building, 501 W. Durango (Downtown, west of I-35)
Hours: MondayThursday, 7:30 a.m.-10:30 p.m.; Friday, 7:30 a.m.6:00
p.m.; Saturday, 9:00 a.m.9:00 p.m.; Sunday, 1:00 p.m.10:30
p.m.; closed SaturdaySunday, May 1415
The new 19,000-square-foot UTSA Downtown Library supports over 6,000 students
in the 17 undergraduate and 6 graduate degree programs available on the
campus. Originally designed as a "virtual library" relying heavily
on electronic resources, the Downtown Library now has a growing collection
of physical holdings that support the programs offered on the campus,
including public administration, architecture, and criminal justice. The
Downtown Library is a branch of the John Peace Library (see separate listing)
located on the UTSA main campus near Loop 1604 and I-10 West in northwest
San Antonio College Library
1300 San Pedro Avenue (North of Downtown)
May Hours: MondayFriday, 8:00 a.m.5:00 p.m.
Established in 1925 as University Junior College, San Antonio College
now serves as the main campus for the Alamo Community College District
and is the largest single-campus community college in the State of Texas,
enrolling more than 22,000 students. Health-related programs include nursing,
emergency medical technicians, and medical and dental assisting. The Alamo
Community College District's other campuses are Northwest Vista College,
Palo Alto College, and St. Philip's College (see separate listing for
St. Philip's College).
St. Philip's College Learning Resource Center
1801 Martin Luther King Drive (East of Downtown)
Hours: MondayFriday, 8:00 a.m.5:00 p.m. (intersession hours)
St. Philip's College was founded in 1898 by Bishop James Steptoe Johnston
of St. Philip's Episcopal Church of the West Texas Diocese as a day school
for girls. Artemisia Bowden, a teacher and daughter of a former slave,
later assumed leadership of the school. Under her direction over the next
fifty-two years, St. Philip's was transformed into fully accredited two-year
college and became affiliated with San Antonio College in 1942.
University of the Incarnate Word (UIW) Mabee
4301 Broadway (North of Downtown)
Hours: MondayThursday, 8:00 a.m.midnight; Friday, 8:00 a.m.6:00
p.m.; Saturday, 10:00 a.m.5:00 p.m.; Sunday, 2:00 p.m.midnight
UIW is a private, Catholic university founded in 1881 as a college for
young women by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word. The Sisters
of Charity first came to San Antonio in 1869 and established the city's
first hospital, Santa Rosa Infirmary. Now coeducational, UIW offers undergraduate
and graduate degrees in a wide array of fields, including nursing and
kinesiology. A School of Pharmacy will open in the fall of 2006.
Trinity University Coates Library
One Trinity Place (North of Downtown)
Hours: MondayThursday, May 1619: contact the library; Saturday,
May 14, 10:00 a.m.6:00 p.m.; Sunday, May 15, closed
Founded by Presbyterians in 1869 in Tehuacana, TX, Trinity moved to Waxahachie,
TX, in 1902. Forty years later, Trinity relocated to the near west side
of San Antonio at the invitation of the city and moved to its permanent
campus in 1952. Although primarily an undergraduate university, Trinity
offers several master's degrees, include one in health care administration.
Our Lady of the Lake University (OLLU) Sueltenfuss
411 S.W. 24th Street (West of Downtown)
Hours: MondayThursday, 8:00 a.m.9:00 p.m.; Friday, 8:00 a.m.6:00
p.m.; Saturday, 10:00 a.m.6:00 p.m.; Sunday, 10:00 a.m.6:00
p.m. (intersession hours)
OLLU was founded in 1895 by the Sisters of the Congregation of Divine
Providence. Originally a 2-year college for women, OLLU expanded to 4
years in 1919 and became fully coeducational in 1969. The graduate program,
begun in 1942, was coeducational from its inception. OLLU offers 58 undergraduate
degree programs, 48 graduate degree programs, and 2 doctoral degree programs.
OLLU's Worden School of Social Service, begun in 1942, was the first school
of social work in Texas.
St. Mary's University Blume Library
One Camino Santa Maria (Northwest of Downtown)
Hours: MondayFriday, 8:00 a.m.4:00 p.m. (interterm hours)
The oldest and largest of San Antonio's three Catholic Universities, St.
Mary's is a Marianist institution founded in 1852 as a college for men.
It first admitted women as full-time students in 1963. Special collections
in the Blume Library include the Spanish Archives of Laredo, which document
the growth and development of the city of Laredo from its founding in
1755 under Spanish rule to 1848 when it came under US jurisdiction. In
1934, St. Mary's took over the San Antonio Law School, making it the only
Catholic law school in Texas. In addition to the library, St. Mary's has
a separate law library, the Sarita Kenedy Law Library.
The University of Texas Health Science CenterSan
Antonio (UTHSCSA) Briscoe Library
7703 Floyd Curl Drive (Northwest area)
Hours: MondayThursday, 7:00 a.m.midnight; Friday, 7:00 a.m.midnight;
Saturday, 9:00 a.m.10:00 p.m.; Sunday, 10:00 a.m.midnight
The UTHSCSA is a young health sciences center. The first medical school
class was admitted in 1966 and housed, along with the fledgling library,
on the campus of Trinity University. In 1968, the campus opened on the
then-remote northwest side of San Antonio. The Briscoe Library opened
in 1984 and supports more than fifty health-related degree specialties
from the Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, and Allied Health; the
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences; and several affiliated programs,
including branches of the UT-Austin School of Pharmacy and the UT School
of Public Health. The library also serves the needs of health professionals
and the general public in Bexar County. A small branch library, the Brady/Green
Library, is located at the University Health Center-Downtown.
The UTHSCSA Library is known for its outreach activities in 38 counties
covering more than 50,000 square miles in South Texas. The RAHC Medical
Library, located at the UTHSCSA Regional Academic Health Center, was 1
of 4 libraries selected nationwide in 2004 to receive the National Award
for Museum and Library Service, presented annually by the Institute of
Museum and Library Services. The Briscoe Library also serves a new branch
campus in Laredo.
The University of TexasSan Antonio (UTSA)
John Peace Library
6900 N. Loop 1604 West (Far Northwest area)
Hours: Open continuously (24 hours) from Sunday, 1:00 p.m., through Friday,
9:00 p.m.; Saturday, 9:00 a.m.10:00 p.m.; closed SaturdaySunday,
Founded in 1969, UTSA is the second-fastest growing component of
the University of Texas System. With 3 campuses (see separate listings
for UTSA-Downtown and the Institute of Texan Cultures), UTSA enrolls over
26,000 students in 107 undergraduate and graduate programs. With a collection
of more than 550,000 volumes, the library also serves as a state and federal
depository. Special collections include original manuscripts donated by
the Sons of the Republic of Texas documenting Spain's administrative and
bureaucratic activities in Mexico during the seventeenth to eighteenth
centuries, the John Peace Collection of Texana, and the personal library
of San Antonio architect Ralph Haywood Cameron.