You are here
How to Renew Your Academy Membership
MLA's Academy only accepts applications electronically. Download and save the forms, fill in, then upload to your member documents area or (for nonmembers only) send via email.
Renewal Information For Member, Senior and Distinguished Levels:
- Membership lasts for five years and must be renewed before the end of the fifth year.
- Applicant should be employed in the information field for the five years prior to their renewal. If the applicant has experienced a job loss or change in career and wishes to retain AHIP membership, please refer to the AHIP job requirements.
- You must complete a minimum of fifty (50) points of continuing education and individual accomplishments. See Point Index.
- FORM GUIDELINES:
- Submit Form BIO
- Complete the LIST OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS form to record the points you have earned. Check the total number of points to determine whether you have the required number and distribution of points. In addition to the overall points, make sure any requirements for professional association activities and MLA activities have been filled.
- Renewing members are not required to attach MLA continuing education (CE) and other point documentation.
- Submit an Form IPR for all non-MLA approved CE along with the application.
Renewal Information For Provisional Members:
- Provisional members must renew each year until they move up to the Member or higher level.
- All renewing provisional membership applications are required to include 5 points of professional individual accomplishments per year. This requirement will allow members the opportunity to become more involved with MLA, MLA Sections, SIGs, and Chapters, and local medical library groups. These accomplishments then can be used towards the application for membership when the provisional member moves on to higher Academy levels.
- There is no fee to renew your Provisional Academy membership. However, you must email MLA when your renewal documentation has been uploaded to your record or your documents will not be reviewed.
- FORM GUIDELINES:
- Submit Form Provisional Renew (you will receive this from your Academy mentor)
- Submit Form IPR (for any courses not previously approved by MLA)
Renewal Information for Retired Librarians/Emeritus Level
- Retired librarians with ten consecutive years of academy membership (at any level except Provisional) prior to retirement may continue membership by requesting emeritus status.
- There is no fee to apply at this level.
- FORM GUIDELINES:
- Submit Form Emeritus
- Download and complete the PDF or Word versions of the required forms for the appropriate level.
- Collect all of your supporting documentation in an electronic format (e.g., PDF).
- Upload all forms and documentation to the "Certification/AHIP Portfolio" area in your member account [when you are logged in, you will see this in your "My MLANET" drop-down menu next to your name]. You may combine or provide separate documents. Nonmembers will need to email forms to Tomi Gunn at MLA headquarters.
- MEMBER LEVEL AND ABOVE: ONLY after your documentation is complete and uploaded, pay the appropriate nonrefundable application/renewal fee (noted below) in US dollars. To pay by credit card (MasterCard, American Express, Discover, or Visa), visit the MLA Store, choose your Academy level, and complete your check out (choose the $0.00 ground ship option to avoid errors).
- MLA Member, Academy Member level or above, $200.00 (US Dollars)
- Non-MLA Member, Academy Member level or above, $450.00 (US Dollars)
You may advance to a higher level if the professional experience and accomplishments for that level are met. In this case, please follow the directions for an initial application. This includes those who wish to move from Provisional membership to a higher level.
Candidates for renewal who desire an extension because of extenuating circumstances must make the request via email describing the circumstances. The email must be sent to Tomi Gunn at MLA headquarters.