You are here
Dixie A. Jones, AHIP, 2013/14 President, Professional Accomplishments
Director, Medical Library, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center–Shreveport, 2012–.
Previous Professional Positions (Last Fifteen Years)
Associate Director, Medical Library, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center–Shreveport, 2009–2012; Librarian, Overton Brooks VA Medical Center, Shreveport, LA, 2003–2009; head, Reference Section, Medical Library, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center–Shreveport, 1991–2003.
MLA Official Activities (Last Fifteen Years)
National: member 1984–; Continuing Education Committee: member 2010–2013; E-Patient Symposium Planning Committee: member 2009–2010; Nominating Committee: member 1999–2000, 2009–2010; Benchmarking Network Editorial Board: member 2007–2009; MLA/NLM Joint Electronic Personal Health Record Task Force: chair 2007–2008; Task Force on Vital Pathways for Hospital Librarians, Steering Committee: member 2006–2008; MLA treasurer 2005–2007; Board of Directors: member 2004–2007; Ad Hoc Professional Recruitment and Retention Committee: member 2003–2006; Academy of Health Information Professionals: mentor to Provisional Member 2002–2003, 2006–2010; Membership Committee: member (representing Section Council) 2001–2004; Task Force to Plan Recruitment for the 21st Century Workforce of Health Information Professionals: member 2001–2003; 1996 and 2002 National Program Committees: member 1994–1996, 2000–2002; Centennial Celebration Fund Raising Team: member 1997–1998; Awards Committee: chair 1999–2000, member 1997–1998. Section: Federal Libraries Section: member 2004–2009; secretary 2007–2009. Hospital Libraries Section: member 1986–; Nominating Committee: member 1994–1995, 2002–2003; Strategic Planning Committee: chair 2002–2004. Leadership and Management Section: member 1991–; Leading Edge: coeditor 2001–2006. Public Services Section: member: 1991–2008; Nominating Committee: member 1997–1998. Research Section: member 1996–; research presentations judge 2009–2011; Section Council representative 2000–2003; Research Mentors Program Task Force: member 1999–2001. Section Council: vice-chair 2002–2004; Communications Committee: chair 2002–2004; Section/SIG Review Committee: member 2001–2002. Chapter: South Central Chapter (SCC): member 1980–; Credentialing Committee: member 2011–; Membership Committee: member 2009–2011; Nominating Committee: chair 1997–1998, member 2007–2008; Program Committee: chair 1989–1990, cochair 1996–1997, member 2008–2009, Contributed Paper Subcommittee: chair 2008–2009; Katrina Task Force: member 2005–2006; Communications Committee: chair 2003–2004; Local Arrangements Committee: member 2002–2003; Credentialing Committee: member 1999–2003; Ad Hoc MLA Centennial Celebration/SCC Silver Anniversary Committee: member 1997–1998; Finance Committee: member 1995–1997; president 1996–1997.
Other Professional Activities (Last Fifteen Years)
South Central Academic Medical Libraries: Board of Directors: member, 2012–. Central Louisiana Medical Library Consortium: Board of Directors: member 2003–2009; vice president 2007–2009. Health Sciences Library Association of Louisiana: Continuing Education Committee: member 1998. Louisiana Library Association: Executive Board: member 1996–1997; Advisory Committee on Publications: member 1995–1996; Local Arrangements Committee: member 1997–1998; Scholarship Committee: member 1997–2000; Special Committee on Strategic Planning: member 1997–1998; Subject Specialists Section: chair 1996–1997. National Network of Libraries of Medicine, South Central Region: Consumer Health Advisory Committee: member 1999–2001; Document Delivery Committee: member 2007–2009; Louisiana Go Local Advisory Committee: member 2006–2009; Louisiana Regional Advisory Council: member 2007–2009. American Medical Informatics Association: Ethics Committee: member 2010–. Medical Reference Services Quarterly Editorial Board: member 2008–. Journal of Hospital Librarianship: Specialty of the House column, coeditor 2003–.
Professional Honors (Last Fifteen Years)
Academy of Health Information Professionals: Distinguished Member 1990–2015. National Library of Medicine: medical informatics fellowship at Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA, 2000. MLA Research Section: Honorable Mention Research Award for coauthorship of contributed paper 2008. MLA Hospital Libraries Section: Scroll of Exemplary Service 2002– ; Professional Development Award 2010. MLA/South Central Chapter: Distinguished Service Award 2003; William D. Postell Professional Development Award 2010. Overton Brooks VA Medical Center: Special Contribution Award 2004, 2008, 2009. Marquis Who’s Who in America 2012–2013 editions.
BA, library science, Louisiana Tech University–Ruston, 1974; MLS, Louisiana State University–Baton Rouge, 1975.
Publications (Last Five Years)
- Goodman KW, Adams S, Berner ES, Embi PJ, Hsiung R, Hurdle J, Jones DA, Lehmann CU, Maulden S, Petersen C, Terrazas E, Winkelstein P. AMIA’s code of professional and ethical conduct.Â J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2013;20:141–3.
- Jones DA. Personal health records: selected webliography [webhealth topics]. J Consum Health Internet. 2012;16(3):307–15.
- Jones DA. Academic librarianship [book review]. J Med Lib Assoc. 2012 Jul;100(3):226. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.100.3.015
- Dobbins MT, Tarver T, Adams M, Jones DA. Learning curves: making quality online health information available at a fitness center. J Consum Health Internet. 2012;16(1):66–76.
- Jones DA. Library camps and unconferences [book review]. J Med Lib Assoc. 2011 Oct;99(4):323–4.DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.99.4.016.
- Jones DA, Esparza JM, Duggar DC. Initial entry of knowledge-based information (KBI) into the electronic health record and internal medicine residents' perceptions of KBI resources in the record. J Hosp Lib. 2011;11(4):325–37.
- Jones DA. Human resources management. In: Bandy MM, Dudden RF, eds. The Medical Library Association guide to managing health care libraries. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Neal-Schuman; 2012.
- Jones DA, Poletti EJ, Stephenson P. Demonstrating the value of library services in South Central VA Health Care Network Medical Centers. J Hosp Lib. 2010;10(3):211–23.
- Jones DA, Shipman JP, Plaut DA, Selden CR. Characteristics of personal health records (PHRs): findings of the MLA/NLM Joint Electronic Personal Health Record Task Force. J Med Lib Assoc. 2010 Jul;98(3):243–199. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.98.3.013.
- Jones DA. Management of and issues specific to hospital libraries. In: Wood MS, ed. Introduction to health sciences librarianship. New York, NY: Haworth Press; 2008. p. 341–67.