Medical Information on the Internet
Module 9: Searching for Drug Information
- Alternative/Complementary Medicine
- A group of diverse medical and health care systems, practices, and products that are not presently considered to be part of conventional medicine. (Source: NCCAM).
- Generic drug
- Medications of the same chemical composition as brand-name drugs (Like CIPRO vs. ciprofloxacin), but without the cache of the brand. According to the FDA, there is no substantive difference between generic and brand name drugs of the same product.
- Food and Drug Administration
- Office of Dietary Supplements
- The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Products intended to supplement the diet that contains one or more of the following dietary ingredients: a vitamin, mineral, amino acid, herb, or other botanical. (Source: ODS)