Instructions for Renewing Your AHIP Membership at a Higher Level
If you are a Provisional Member, Member, or Senior Member and wish to renew at a higher level, this is the page for you! Please begin with Step 1 below.
If you are a Member, Senior Member, or Distinguished Member and wish to renew at your current level, please see Renewing Your AHIP Member, Senior, or Distinguished Membership at Your Current Level.
If you are a Provisional Member and wish to submit your annual renewal documentation, please see Instructions for Provisional Membership Annual Renewal.
If you are a retired or a soon-to-be-retired Academy member and wish to become an Emeritus member, please see Apply to Renew as an Emeritus Member.
Identify the higher level of membership you will apply for.
Requirements for renewing at the Member level
- You must complete a minimum of fifty (50) points of professional accomplishments.
Requirements for renewing at the Senior level
You must complete a minimum of eighty (80) points of professional accomplishments.
- At least 5 of the 80 points must be individual accomplishment points from professional organization activities.
Requirements for renewing at the Distinguished level
- You must complete a minimum of one-hundred and twenty (120) points of professional accomplishments.
- At least 10 of the 50 points must be individual accomplishment points from professional organization activities and at least 5 of these 10 points must be from MLA activities. Please note: You must include on your Tally Form, at least 5 points of MLA activity and also include supporting documentation. If you do not have MLA activity, please apply instead for Senior level.
Create an invoice and pay the appropriate nonrefundable application fee in US dollars. To ensure member rates, please log in before adding an item your cart.
- Member academy level (MLA member fee is $200.00; non-MLA member fee is $450.00)
- Senior academy level (MLA member fee is $200.00; non-MLA member fee is $450.00)
- Distinguished academy level (MLA member fee is $200.00; non-MLA member fee is $450.00)
To pay via credit card: Once the invoice is created, you may pay online using the options at the bottom of the invoice.
To pay via check: Please make payable to the “Medical Library Association” and indicate “AHIP membership” in the memo line. You may also send the invoice you created with your invoice to:
Medical Library Association
Carol Stream, IL 60122-4627
If you are not an MLA member, join MLA today to enjoy discounted AHIP fees and numerous other member benefits!
After your payment is processed, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to the online application. After completing the application, you will see an "ADD" button to upload documents that support your application.
Please group and upload your supporting documents following these suggestions:
- Background documents together: CV, transcript or diploma, job description in one PDF. These documents were submitted upon your initial AHIP application. However, they must be submitted again as applications for higher level are treated as new applications.
- Points Tally form as a separate, single PDF. This helps our reviewers compare activities listed on your Tally form with your supporting documentation.
- Supporting documentation:
- Please ensure that the documents that support your accomplishments--including any IRP form(s)--are in the order listed on your Points Tally form. You may include all of these documents in one PDF. However, if you have numerous documents, it may be easier for you and your reviewer to separate by area as listed on the Points Tally Form (ex. CE certificates in one PDF, Publications documentation in another, etc)
- If you list an activity on your Points Tally form, please be sure to include supporting documentation for the activity. If you submit supporting documents for an activity, please be sure the activity listed on the Points Tally form.
- Supporting documentation submitted as all individual files will not be accepted for review.
- Document a few more points than necessary. If there is a problem with some of the points you've claimed, you'll have extra points as a cushion.
- Submitting an excessive amount of points and documentation (ex. 300 points when you only need 120), may slow down your review.
- When you have completed the Points Tally form, check the total number of points to make sure you have the required number and distribution of points for the level for which you are applying.
- If all necessary forms and documents are not submitted, there may be a delay in processing your application.
What Happens Next
The MLA Credentialing Committee will review your application and you will be notified of their decision within 8-10 weeks.
Upon approval of your application:
- Your MLANET profile will be updated with your AHIP dates and the AHIP badge. You will also be placed on the AHIP member roster.
- You will receive an official letter and certificate in the mail. Any requested employer letters will also be mailed.
- Academy membership for Member, Senior and Distinguished levels is valid for five years and must be renewed before the end of your fifth year.
- You can can apply for a higher level of membership at any time within a five-year period. To do so, submit a new portfolio, which will result in a new five-year time span for points and a new fee. Your new certificate will reflect the five-year period following the renewal at a higher level. See tips on preparing to qualify for your next level of membership.
- If you are an Academy member without a current position in the health information professions, you can apply for a higher level as long as you meet all other requirements for the level. The Credentialing Committee will review other special employment circumstances on an individual basis.
- If you are experiencing a hardship and desire an extension on your renewal, please document your circumstances in an email to the AHIP Membership Coordinator.