Lucretia W. McClure Excellence in Education Award
The Lucretia W. McClure Excellence in Education Award was established in 1998. The award is named after one of MLA's most respected members and honors outstanding practicing librarians or library educators in the field of health sciences librarianship and informatics who demonstrate skills in one or more of the following areas: teaching, curriculum development, mentoring, research, or leadership in education at local, regional, or national levels.
- Nominees must be members of MLA.
- Nominees must be currently employed as a health sciences librarian or educator at the time of the award and must have worked in such a position for at least five years immediately preceding the award.
- The nomination may be made for contributions to education as demonstrated by excellence and achievement in service, curriculum development, leadership, publications, presentations, teaching, research, mentoring, special projects, or any combination of these areas.
- Nomination form, including all supporting documentation, must be completed no later than November 1; self-nominations are encouraged and accepted.
- Nomination must contain at least the following elements:
- a precise description of the nominee’s achievements;
- a current curriculum vitae or resume; and
- any further information which may assist the jury in the evaluation of the nomination and the selection of the recipient.
Up to three letters of support may be included with the nomination.
The recipient will be notified in March before the annual meeting at which the presentation will be made. The recipient receives a certificate at the annual meeting and a cash award of $500 after the annual meeting. The recipient assumes all costs of attending the meeting and the ceremony at which the presentation is made. If there are no appropriate candidates, the association may elect not to present the award in a given year.
Ready to Submit a Nomination?
- The 2018 McClure Award nomination process is now closed.
- The award recipient and award nominators will be notified in March 2018.
- Nominations will open next in August 2018.
Past Award Recipients
- 2017: Julia Esparza, AHIP
- 2016: Jeffrey T. Huber
- 2015: none awarded
- 2014: Michele R. Tennant, AHIP
- 2013: Jonathan Eldredge, AHIP
- 2012: Janet G. Schnall, AHIP
- 2011: Gale G. Hannigan, AHIP
- 2010: Lauren Maggio
- 2009: K. Ann McKibbon, FMLA
- 2008: Sarah K. McCord
- 2007: Renata Geer
- 2006: Connie Schardt, AHIP, FMLA
- 2005: Jo Dorsch, AHIP, FMLA
- 2004: Janis Glover and Kathyrn Nesbit (posthumously)
- 2003: none awarded
- 2002: Ellen Gay Detlefsen
- 2001: Julie J. McGowan, AHIP, FMLA
- 2000: Ana Cleveland, AHIP, FMLA
- 1999: Lucretia W. McClure, AHIP, FMLA
Have a question? Contact MLA's awards coordinator.