InSight Initiative - Summit 1
The March 6-7, 2018 summit brings together MLA leaders and select participating organizations to engage in high-level, high-value dialogue on issues of common interest that impact the health information profession. For more information about this initiative, including objectives, outcomes, guidelines and task force members, please consult the Insight Initiative home page.
Applications are now closed.
Detailed Summit 1 information:
Theme: Engaging Users in a Disruptive Era
The summit will address the following topics:
- Leveraging specialized discovery tools to maximize user engagement
- Security and the future of IP authentication
- Lessons learned from pirate sites
- Imagining the ideal social networking site for collaboration and sharing
From noon March 6, 2018 to 3:00 p.m. March 7, 2018.
Morton’s Steakhouse and Meetings Facilities
65 E. Wacker Place*
Chicago, IL 60610
*downtown Chicago, half a block from Michigan Avenue
MLA has arranged optional housing for summit participants for the night of March 6, 2018.
Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
225 N. Wabash Avenue*
Chicago IL 60601
*downtown Chicago, one block from Michigan Avenue
- Guests can call 1-800-KIMPTON (1-800-546-7866) to reserve (ask for the group rate under the “Medical Library Association”)
- Or book online via: Medical Library Association
We plan for balanced representation of librarian leaders and participating organizations. We estimate this first summit will convene 15 librarians and 15 participating organization representatives.
Click here for the list of participants.
Consider applying as a librarian participant by January 15, 2017 if:
- You have professional knowledge, expertise and interest in the Summit theme;
- You will commit to:
- Attending the March 6-7, 2018 summit in Chicago (from 1pm March 6 to 3pm March 7);
- Between 3 and 5 hours of preparatory work (pre-summit);
- Active participation and contribution to the work of the summit; and
- Up to 10 hours of follow-up work (post-summit activities and products).
The InSight Initiative Task Force will select the participants by February 1, 2018 (MLA membership prefered but not required).
List of participating organization (last update Nov. 10, 2017):
- Annual Reviews
- American Psychiatric Association Publishing
- BMJ Publishing, Inc.
- The JAMA Network
- McGraw Hill Education
- NEJM Group
- Springer Nature
- Wolters Kluwer
Companies interested in participating should contact Dan Doody, responsible for participating organization recruitment for the MLA InSight Initiative. firstname.lastname@example.org; 312-239-6226.
Cost and travel support for librarian participants
There is no registration fee for librarian participants. MLA will support the travel expenses of librarian participants (summit hotel, and transportation) up to $800. This is made possible through the generous support of our Inaugural Sponsors for summits 1 and 2:
- the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL) with a $15,000 grant to support librarian participant travel expenses
- Elsevier with a $12,000 grant to support the zero-registration fee for librarian participants