Incoming officers and leaders (allied representatives, appointed officials, chapter presidents, committee chairs, section chairs, and task force chairs) should familiarize themselves with MLA's structure, organization, and program areas.
- 2017 Virtual Orientation - April 2017 - See file area for meeting presentation and link to meeting recording
- Hosted by Barbara A. Epstein, AHIP, FMLA, President-Elect and Kevin Baliozian, Executive Director
- 2018 Virtual Orientation - Watch here for meeting date and time.
General Information on MLA
- Vision, Values, and Mission
- Code of Ethics
- Awards and Honors
- Grants, Scholarships, and Fellowships
- International Programs
- Allied Organizations
- MLA Glossary
- Governance Documents: Bylaws and Procedures
- New Leaders Orientation
- Strategy and Finance
- Previous Annual Reports (MLA, Sections, Chapters, SIGS, Committees, Allied Reps)
- Reports are submitted twice a year by MLA leaders including: allied representatives, appointed officials, chapter presidents, committee chairs, section chairs, and task force chairs. SIG conveners and jury chairs are not required to submit activity reports.
- Annual reports are due by April 15 each year:
- Full report (see content below),
- Submitted to the Board of Directors,
- Posted on MLANET,
- Part of the association's permanent records archived at the National Library of Medicine.
- Midyear reports are due by October 15:
- Executive summary only, with the option of providing a motion or additional report,
- Submitted to the Board of Directors.
- Activity reports must relate to areas of strategic importance to a MLA unit, or to the MLA Strategic Plan.
- Previous annual reports can be found on MLANET in the Organization file library under Annual Reports.
ANNUAL REPORT CONTENT - Due April 15
- Leadership Roster - Found in community home on MLANET.
- Executive Summary – In 100 words or less (up to 6 bullet points), summarize the top achievements, activities or actions since Annual Meeting.
- Strategic Plan - List the latest goals, strategies, and status of specific objectives. If possible, include dates, metrics and schedule.
- MLA Strategic Plan - List specific contribution to MLA strategic goals (if applicable).
- Facts and Data - List key events held, items published, resources created, or other data.
- People Update - Chapters and Sections: list election results, sub-committee appointments, recognition or other information related to individuals. Committees and Task Forces: include new members.
- A motion may be attached.
- SAMPLE REPORT - follow this report style.
MIDYEAR REPORT CONTENT - Due October 15
Fall 2017 - In the spirit of reducing the administrative burden for MLA volunteers, midyear reports have been simplified to include only the executive summary, with the option of providing a motion or additional report, if warranted.
- Executive Summary – In 100 words or less (up to 6 bullet points), summarize the top achievements, activities or actions since May.
- A motion may be attached.
- For items which go beyond an executive summary, include rational to why it requires immediate Board attention and send to MLA Headquarters.
HOW TO SUBMIT A REPORT
- Report information should be clear and concise. (online reporting does not allow for complex formatting)
- Collect the above content information and paste to the ONLINE FORM on MLANET for the official report.
- Chapter and Section leaders should send a copy of the report information to the Council Chairs. Council Chairs report activities to the Board of Directors and present background on major issues, including motions presented to the Board.
- Chapter Council Chair, Melissa Ratajeski, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Section Council Chair, Elizabeth R. Lorbeer, email@example.com
- If a report contains a motion, upload a completed MOTION FORM. Also send a copy of the motion to Board liaison and/or MLA staff liaison. The motion should include the following background information:
- Name of MLA entity which is required to take action
- Specific action to be taken
- Costs, if any, which will be incurred and proposed sources of funding
- Time frame for the action
- Any documentation which will facilitate the Board's decision-making process (statement of circumstances prompting the motion and/or past MLA action on the issue)