MLA partners with allied organizations that have similar interests to ours in an effort to influence decisions affecting the field of health sciences librarianship and biomedical information management.
Many of these connections are maintained by MLA members, who are appointed by the MLA President-elect to serve as allied representatives to these partnering organizations. Sometimes, allied representatives also serve as representatives and resources to MLA standing committees.
The representatives to these allied organizations serve terms as required by the sponsoring organization or for a three-year term (parenthetical numbers below indicate number of years yet to serve). Appointments are reviewed annually. In some allied organizations, MLA is represented by its membership through the joint sponsorship of meetings and participation in programs of mutual interest. These activities are not funded by MLA.
The duties of these representatives are
- to represent, interpret, and promote the interests of MLA
- to attend meetings of the allied organization
- to serve ex officio on the appropriate committees of MLA to facilitate communication between MLA and the allied organization
- to make recommendations through the appropriate MLA committee for action to be taken by the board of directors concerning activities of mutual interest to the allied organization and MLA
- to prepare and submit midyear and annual reports