Continuing Education Grant
The purpose of Medical Library Association (MLA) Continuing Education Grants is to provide members with the opportunity to develop their knowledge of the theoretical, administrative, or technical aspects of librarianship. More than one continuing education (CE) grant may be offered in a year. The grant may be used either for MLA opportunities offered through through MEDLIB-ED, and Annual Meeting CE courses, or for other CE activities. Submit your application for these grants of $100 to $500.
- The applicant must hold a graduate degree in library science.
- The applicant must be a practicing health sciences librarian with at least two years of professional experience.
- The applicant must a member of MLA.
- The applicant must be a citizen of or have permanent residence status in either the United States or Canada.
- In exceptional cases, consideration will be given to an outstanding candidate not meeting the eligibility criteria outlined above.
- The completed application form and additional documentation must be received by December 1.
- The applicant must submit the names of three references not related to the applicant. The references must be persons who are knowledgeable of the applicant's character, education, and abilities.
- The continuing education activity must be within the United States or Canada.
- The proposed course of study should be relevant to the library work in which the applicant is currently engaged. Scope, level of study, duration, and budget should be given. Consideration is given to library experience and professional activities of the applicant.
- Grants will not be given to support work toward a degree or certificate, although course work that complements a candidate's program, yet is not part of the normal professional curriculum, will be considered.
- More than one grant may be offered in a year. Grants range from $100 to $500 and are paid in one payment. Depending on the qualifications of the candidates, the jury may recommend that grants not be presented in a given year.
- The period of disbursement will not exceed one year past the date of MLA’s annual meeting.
- MLA will acknowledge applications upon receipt via email.
Ready to Submit an Application?
The Continuing Education Grant application process is now CLOSED. Applications for the 2018 grants will be accepted starting in August 2017.
Previous Grant Recipients
- 2017: Shirley Zhao
- 2016: Andrea C. Kepsel, AHIP and Nathalie Reid, AHIP
- 2015: Leah C. Osterhaus Trzasko and Jennifer S. Walker
- 2014: Xan Goodman and Lynda J. Hartel
- 2013: Bethany McGowan and Debra Werner
- 2012: Alisha Miles
- 2011: Beth A. Lewis
- 2010: Marie K. Saimbert and Lin Wu
- 2009: Lauren Maggio
- 2008: Patricia Hammond and Susan Schleper
- 2007: Rick Wallace and Alice Webber
- 2006: Ellen Justice
- 2005: Andrea Ketchum
- 2004: Bette Sydelko
- 2003: Beshia Popescu
- 2002: Linda Collins
- 2001: Joanne M. Muellenbach
- 2000: Barbara Benisch
- 1999: none awarded
- 1998: Katherine J. Vargo
- 1997: Julita C. Awkard
- 1996: Carol M. Shisler
- 1995: Karyn Pomerantz
- 1994: Sarah Knox Morley and Melanie J. Tennyson
- 1993: Judy Burnham, Margaret M. Demchuk, and Joanne Kennedy
- 1992: Patricia J. Hamilton
- 1991: Sandra K. Parker
- 1990: A. James Bothmer, Barbara A. Carlson, Wenda Webster Fischer, and Kime U. Rutter
- 1989: Rick B. Forsman
- 1988: Lavonda K. Broadnax
- 1987: Maureen Battistella
Have a question? Contact MLA's grants coordinator.