InSight Initiative - Summit 1
The March 6-7, 2018 summit brings together MLA leaders and select participating organizations to engage in high-level, high-value dialogue on issues of common interest that impact the health information profession. For more information about this initiative, including objectives, outcomes, guidelines and task force members, please consult the Insight Initiative home page.
Applications close January 15, 11:59 p.m. (central time).
Theme: Engaging the User in a Disruptive Era
The summit will address the following topics:
- Maximizing positive and mutually successful user engagement in the scholarly communications process by individual groups (readers, publishers, editors, reviewers and other roles);
- Positive lessons to be learned from the successes of piracy operations wherein journal articles are uploaded by users and freely shared outside traditional copyright and access restrictions;
- The ideal interface for a scholarly communications-focused social network; and
- Security and the future of IP authentication.
From noon March 6, 2018 to 3:00 p.m. March 7, 2018.
Morton’s Steakhouse and Meetings Facilities
65 E. Wacker Place*
Chicago, IL 60610
*downtown Chicago, half a block from Michigan Avenue
MLA is arranging optional housing for summit participants.
We plan for balanced representation of librarian leaders and participating organizations. We estimate this first summit will convene 15 librarians and 15 participating organization representatives.
Consider applying as a librarian participant by January 15, 2017 if:
- You have professional knowledge, expertise and interest in the Summit theme;
- You will commit to:
- Attending the March 6-7, 2018 summit in Chicago (from 1pm March 6 to 3pm March 7);
- Between 3 and 5 hours of preparatory work (pre-summit);
- Active participation and contribution to the work of the summit; and
- Up to 10 hours of follow-up work (post-summit activities and products).
The InSight Initiative Task Force will select the participants by February 1, 2018 (MLA membership prefered but not required).
List of participating organization (last update Nov. 10, 2017):
- Annual Reviews
- American Psychiatric Association Publishing
- BMJ Publishing, Inc.
- The JAMA Network
- McGraw Hill Education
- NEJM Group
- Springer Nature
- Wolters Kluwer
Companies interested in participating should contact Dan Doody, responsible for participating organization recruitment for the MLA InSight Initiative. firstname.lastname@example.org; 312-239-6226.
Cost and travel support for librarian participants
There is no registration fee for librarian participants.
MLA will support the travel expenses of librarian participants (summit hotel, and transportation) up to $800, thanks to a generous $15,000 grant from the Association of Academic Health Sciences Librairies (AAHSL) for summits 1 and 2.
Librarian application instructions
- Select online application to be considered as a participant
- MLA members must login.
- Non MLA members must create a guest user profile to login. See MLANET login page.
- Complete online form and upload all documents no later than January 15, 11:59 p.m. (central time).
- Incomplete and late submissions will not be considered.