The Medical Library Association (MLA) and Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL) have filed comments with the National Institutes of Health (NIH) that will help formulate strategic approaches to prioritizing NIH data management and sharing activities.
The Associations recommended:
- a 12-month embargo, and making that data available for 10 years
- utilizing publicly available databases
- assessing the outcome and relevance of the 2013 RFI (NOT-HG-13-011) on the development and implementation of an NIH Data Catalog as part of the overall Big Data to Knowledge (BD2K) Initiative
- linking ORCHID to datasets via a unique identifer
- linking to eRA Commons accounts (similar to PMCID)
The complete set of comments and recommendations can be found here.