Consumer health libraries are a critical bridge for contemporary medicine models that require patients to both advocate for themselves, as well as partner with, their health care providers. With the continuously changing technology, the ever-increasing amount of information available, and patients’ real need to navigate successfully through the system, librarians’ services can provide the welcoming space and outreach to educate and inform our customers.
*This webinar can be applied toward the MLA Consumer Health Information Specialization.
By the completion of the webinar, participants will understand:
- the role of the consumer health librarian
- outreach into the local community
- the community or target audience
- issues regarding health literacy and how it impacts their library services
- specific programs that can be adapted to their institutional sites
Jacqueline Davis has worked for eight years as the consumer health librarian for Sharp HealthCare in San Diego, CA. She has had the opportunity to work in many different library settings and has enjoyed the work in each of them. She has a particular interest in health literacy as well as social justice. Combining both of these passions has informed and guided her work in the library and the community. In 2013, Davis received the Consumer Health Librarian of the Year award from the Consumer and Patient Health Information Section of the Medical Library Association. She has published in the Journal of Hospital Librarianship and Journal of Consumer Health On the Internet; contributed a chapter on marketing the consumer health library in the MLA book, The Medical Library Association Guide to Providing Consumer and Patient Health Information; and contributed a chapter in the soon-to-be published MLA book, Consumer Health Information Programs and Services: Best Practices. Additionally, she is also a passionate fan of cat videos.
- Length: 1.5 hour recorded webinar
- Technical information: You will receive a link to the recording and the participant's manual after registration.
- Individual Member: $59 (Nonmember: $99)
- Site: $225 (Nonmember Site, $325)
- Register, participate, and earn 1.5 MLA continuing education (CE) contact hours.
- Register Now: Sites or Individuals