MLA Job Description Project
Sample Job Description
Uses the example of a director in a small or one-person library to provide
inclusive coverage of appropriate job responsibilities. Each area noted
below has a major, overarching responsibility [numbered (1), (2), (3),
etc.], and is followed by the actions or tasks required to carry out that
Various elements of the description can be used in job descriptions for
specific library personnel. For example, tasks within the Resource Management
section can be used for a cataloger or a collection development librarian;
the Customer Service and Marketing sections could be used for a reference
librarian and/or access services.
Sample Director's Job Description
Plan and set goals and objectives for the future of the Information
Center. This responsibility includes determining the services needed,
the most effective way to provide them, and the resources necessary to
- Develop an Information Center strategic plan, which is responsive
and conforms to the organization's mission, goals, and objectives.
- Participate in internal meetings to coordinate Information Center
goals and objectives with those of the organization.
- Conduct research, user surveys, focus groups, or benchmarking studies
to determine the products and services the Information Center will offer.
- Attend conferences, workshops, seminars, and classes to maintain knowledge
of changing technologies and developments in the health care and information
- Implement, evaluate, and, if necessary, adjust the strategic plan
on an annual basis.
Market and promote the Information Center and its products
and services. This responsibility includes publications, programming,
and public relations.
- Develop and distribute promotional Information Center materials such
as newsletters, brochures, and information packets.
- Develop in-service and outreach programs to market services and interpret
Information Center resources.
- Develop seminars and workshops that support the goals and objectives
of the organization.
- Establish and maintain rapport with current and potential Information
- Participate in policy-making forums and advisory groups and committees
at the local, state, and national level.
- Represent the Information Center at internal and external meetings
- Establish Information Center support through development activities
such as library friends, advisory committees, or fundraising activities
to assist in the promotion of the Information Center products and services.
- Develop key contacts within the medical, health, and information communities.
(3) Customer Service
Provide proactive customer-oriented services provided by the
Information Center. This responsibility includes activities like reference/research
services and accessing resources.
- Provide professional and personal assistance to clients in answering
inquiries, locating information, and interpreting resource catalogs.
- Conduct manual and computerized information research to support Information
- Develop individual client current awareness and selective dissemination
services based on personal information profiles.
- Set hours and develop processing procedures for the circulation and
loan of materials and document delivery to support research services
and to ensure resources are accessible to clients.
(4) Fiscal Management
Manage the Information Center's financial resources. This
responsibility includes developing and administering budgets and identifying
new revenue sources.
- Develop short and long range Information Center budgets in support
of the strategic plan.
- Prepare, justify, gain approval for, and administer the annual personnel
and operational budgets.
- Review and approve expenditures monthly and track them against the
- Prepare applications for grants and administer funds received to increase
Information Center revenues.
(5) Human Resources
Manage the Information Center's personnel. This responsibility
includes hiring, training, and evaluating personnel.
- Define responsibilities and write position descriptions for Information
Center personnel and review them annually.
- Recruit, select, appoint, train, motivate, and evaluate Information
Center personnel and adjust personnel and policies accordingly.
- Review the performance of Information Center personnel annually.
- Provide staff development and continuing education opportunities for
Information Center personnel.
Manage and direct Information Center operations and facilities.
This responsibility includes activities like establishing goals, monitoring
statistics, developing work plans, managing facilities, and supervising
on a day-to-day basis.
- Establish Information Center policies and procedures to implement
the strategic plan and monitor compliance.
- Collect, prepare, and analyze Information Center reports and statistics.
- Develop, direct, and coordinate the Information Center's work plan.
- Delegate and monitor duties and responsibilities to the Information
Center personnel based on the work plan.
- Plan and conduct Information Center staff meetings.
- Develop and maintain Information Center facilities including space
design and utilization, furnishings, equipment, and security.
- Supervise day-to-day operations of the Information Center.>
(7) Resource Management
Prepare and maintain Information Center resources. This responsibility
includes all technical service activities such as acquiring, processing,
cataloging, maintaining, and circulating resources.
- Establish guidelines for the resource collection development that
reflect the Information Center goals and objectives.
- Develop policies and procedures to evaluate, acquire, discard, process,
organize, maintain, and circulate or loan information resources.
- Perform evaluation studies to ensure information resources are responsive
to client needs and Information Center goals.
- Process and prepare print or electronic resource additions and maintain
the condition and order of resources to ensure their availability to
Information Center clients.
- Catalog or index resources in accordance with national and international
- Select or design classification schemes to make resources accessible
- Administer copyright compliance and contractual commitments.
Coordinate the development and application of Information
Center technology. This includes selecting, designing, implementing, evaluating,
and monitoring computer equipment and software.
- Design and implement automated systems for resource collection, management,
and access that are responsive to the organization's goals.
- Regularly evaluate and adjust automation requirements for the Information
- Evaluate, select, implement, and monitor computer equipment and software
for the Information Center.
- Develop, oversee, and evaluate Internet and organizational Intranet
- Train users and Information Center personnel in the use of new technology
and provide documentation, manuals, and guides.