Self-Directed Learning Program
Selection of Mentors
The learner may solicit a mentor and ask for MLA approval based on
the mentor's significant related experience. MLA requires a resume or
curriculum vitae for approval. Mentors should also sign up on MLA's mentoring
Website; choose "self-directed learning" as an area of expertise.
Suggestions for qualification:
- teaching a graduate level class on the subject;
- publishing on the subject; or
- significant work experience related to the project, e.g., a director of a medical library might mentor a management project.
Responsibility of Mentors
To start, review and approve learning contract and consider:
- Deadlines - are they reasonable?
- Data to be read - is it up-to-date, relevant, and scholarly?
- How does the learner plan to demonstrate and/or prove internalization of learning?
- Objectives - are they real objectives (not goals), are they attainable and measurable, do they fit the goals of the project? Review and revise if necessary with the learner.
- How does learner plan to measure progress - do measurements match the objectives?
- Is there a realistic request for credit hours to be awarded at completion of project?
During the project:
- Track hours spent with learner.
- Plan to meet or communicate with the learner at least three (3) times; plan to spend at least three (3) hours on the project.
- Track guidance given. Note if the learner appears off goal, or if the learner is forgetting parts of the project.
To complete the project, review completed learning contact and project portfolio. Return materials to the learner with a letter commenting on:
- time spent with learner (dates, times, note if meetings were face-to-face or e-mail, etc.);
- trouble spots in the project;
- parts of the project that went well; and
- evaluation of the learner's accomplishment of the goals.
The learner is responsible for turning in contract and letter to MLA.
Academy Credit Awards
Mentors can apply for points for the Academy of Health Information
Professionals, MLA's credentialing program, upon successful completion
of the project. The number of points to be awarded will be determined
by the Credentialing Committee.
Continue to the learning contract | Return to self-directed learning index