Self-Directed Learning Program
Responsibilities of Learners
Before you start the project:
- Define the project goals, objectives, deadlines, estimated length of time, and evaluation tools.
- Complete a learning contract of no less than three hours of activity.
- Select and contact a prospective mentor.
- Gain approval of the learning contract from the mentor.
- Submit learning contract to the professional development department of MLA for approval. Please follow guidelines set by the Continuing Education Committee (CEC).
Upon receiving approval from MLA:
- Pay a course fee of $50.00 (MLA members) / $100.00 (nonmembers) per contract. There will be no refunds for incomplete projects.
- Carry out the learning contract.
- Contact the mentor at least three times during the project.
When completing the project:
- Notify MLA in writing if the deadline dates for completion change.
- Evaluate the program to receive a completion certificate.
- Turn in completed contract and project portfolio to the mentor for review. When the mentor returns the materials adding his or her letter of evaluative comments, mail the completed contract and the mentor's letter to MLA.
MLA CE Contact Hour Awards
The learner will receive one (1) MLA CE contact hour for every three
(3) hours of work upon completion of the learning contract. MLA will only
award up to 10 MLA CE contact hours (30 or more hours of work) per contract.
Continue to mentors page | Return to self-directed learning index