MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Ad Hoc Committee to Study MLA Group Structure, member
- Board of Directors, member, 1981–1984; Oral History Committee, board liaison
- Committee on Committees, member, 1981–1984
- Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, Consulting Editors Panel, member, 1981–1984
- MLA News Editorial Committee, member, 1981–1984
- Finance Committee, member, 1981–1984
- Oral History Project, director
- Ad Hoc Committee to Study the Feasibility of an Accreditation Program for Hospital Libraries, chair, 1977–1978
- Ad Hoc Committee to Study MLA Group Structure, member, 1977–1978
- South Central Chapter, founding member, chair, 1974–1975
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1985
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- South Central Chapter, Distinguished Service Award, 1987
- University of Oklahoma, Regents’ Awards for Superior Professional and University Service, 1982
- American Library Association, Library Research Round Table (LRRT) Research Award, 1976 [Wender R, Fruehauf E, Vent M, Wilson C. Determination of clinician continuing education needs from a literature search study. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1977 Jul;65(3):330–4.]
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- Conducted interviews with Alfred Brandon, Sarah Cole Brown, AHIP, FMLA, and Bernice Hetzner for the Medical Library Association Oral History Project
- Known for publishing discriminating, annotated book lists: Books as Clinical Tools
Publications (5 representative)
- Wender RW, Thompson, CMJ. Teaching MEDLINE to non-urban end users: Oklahoma’s non-urban health professionals. [and] Teaching MEDLINE to non-urban end users: end user practice survey of 310 health professionals. Med Ref Serv Q. 1989 Summer;8(2):25–40 [and] Med Ref Serv Q. 1989 Fall;8(3):37–51.
- Wender RW. Counting journal title usage in the health-sciences. Spec Lib. 1979;70(5–6):219–26.
- Wender RW, ed. Organizing and administering the small hospital library. Dallas, TX: Talon; 1979.
- Wender RW, Fruehauf EL, Vent MS, Wilson CD. Determination of continuing medical education needs of clinicians from a literature search study, part I. and Determination of continuing medical education needs of clinicians from a literature search study, part II: questionnaire results. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1977 Jul;65(3):330–7 [and] 338–341. [cited 30 Jan 2013].
- West KM, Wender RW, May RS. Books in clinical practice 1971–1975, a selected and annotated list for medical practitioners, indexed by subject and author. Postgrad Med. 1974 Dec;56:60–81
- Professor Emeritus, Medical Library Sciences, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center–Norman
- Coordinator, Extension Division, Health Sciences Center Library, University of Oklahoma–Oklahoma City
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Walter PL, ed. Awards ceremony. Proceedings, Eighty-fifth Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. New York, New York May 24–30, 1985. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1986 Jan;74(1):67–93. [cited 30 Jan 2013].