MLA Elected Offices and Committee chair Appointments
- Board of Directors, member, 2010–2013
- Chapter Council, chair, 2010–2013
- Rising Star Committee, member and mentor, 2010–2014
- Chapter Council, MLA Continuing Education Committee representative, 2008–2010
- Awards Committee, member, 2001–2004; chair, 2005
- Rittenhouse Award Jury, member, 1999–2000; chair, 2000–2001
- Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, Hospital Libraries Section, Program Committee, member, 1989
- Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, Public Services Section, Program Committee, member, 1987
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter: Chapter Council representative, 2007–2009; Chapter Council alternate representative, 2004–2007; Joint Southern and Mid-Atlantic Chapter Meeting, Atlanta, Steering Committee, member, 2005–2006; Roundtable Planning Group, member, 2004–2006; chair-elect, chair, past-chair, 1997–1999; Professional Development Committee, chair, 1995–1996; Professional Development Committee, chair-elect, 1994–1995; Professional Awards Committee, member, 1993–1994; Nominating Committee, member, 1992, 2002; Financial Planning Committee, chair, 1991; treasurer, 1988–1990; MAC Messages, North Carolina reporter, 1987–1988
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2015
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter: Librarian of the Year, 2007; Marguerite Abel Service Recognition Award 1990
- Best Research Paper Award, MLA ’98, 98th Annual Meeting of the Medical Library Association, Philadelphia, PA; 1998: Shaw-Kokot J, Bedard M, Squires S, McDuffee D, Frank L, London M, Keeler C, Williams J, Capal T. A journal availability study: a tool for determining user access.
- Hospital Libraries Section: Hospital Libraries Section Leadership List, 1991
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- University of North Carolina Health Sciences Library, Award of Excellence, 2013
- University of North Carolina Health Care, Celebrating Collaborative Colleague Award, 2009
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- Childhood Chronic Conditions and the Family, funded by the National Institutes of Health, granted 9/1/2011–6/30/2016. University of North Carolina School of Nursing. Julia Shaw-Kokot salary-supported team member 2011–2012. Principle Investigators: Kathleen Knafl, Frances Hill Fox Distinguished Professor and Associate Dean for Research, and Margarete Sandelowski, Cary C. Boshamer Professor
- Improving Nursing Care for Acutely Ill Elders, funded by the Department of Health and Human Resources, granted 7/1/2010–6/30/2012. University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill School of Nursing. Julia Shaw-Kokot salary-supported team member 2011–2012. Principle Investigator: Mary H. Palmer
- Internet Training for Public Libraries, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Southeastern/Atlantic Region, 1998 Internet Training Sessions for North Carolina Hospital Librarians, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Southeastern/Atlantic Region, 1996
- Information Skills Building Instruction, Chancellors’ Task Force on Instructional Technology 1996
Publications (5 representative)
- Havill NL, Leeman J, Shaw-Kokot J, Knafl K, Crandell J, Sandelowski M. Managing large-volume literature searches in research synthesis studies. Nurs Outlook. 2014 Mar–Apr;62(2):112–8. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2013.11.002.
- Oermann MH, Shaw-Kokot J. Addressing the impact factors of nursing education journals. J Nurs Educ. 2013 Sep;52(9):483–4. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20130822-10.
- Oermann MH, Shaw-Kokot J, Knafl GJ, Dowell J. Dissemination of research into clinical nursing literature. J Clin Nurs. 2010 Dec;19(23–24):3435–42. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2010.03427.x.
- Miller J, Shaw-Kokot JR, Arnold MS, Boggin T, Crowell KE, Allegri F, Blue JH, Berrier SB. A study of personal digital assistants to enhance undergraduate clinical nursing education. J Nurs Educ. 2005 Jan;44(1):19–26.
- Shaw-Kokot J, de la Varre C. Using a journal availability study to improve access. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 2001 Jan;89(1):21–8. [cited 29 Sep 2015].
- Library Reviewer, General Administration, State Authorization, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 2012–
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, School of Nursing, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 2010–
- Assistant User Services Department Head and Education Services Coordinator, Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 2004–2014
- Education Services Coordinator, Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1998–2004
- Coordinator, Education Programs, Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1993–1998
- Information Management Education Librarian, Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1991–1993
- Director Information Services, Area L Area Health Education Center, Health Education Foundation of Eastern North Carolina–Rocky Mount, 1986–1991
- Instructor, University Library Services, Tompkins McCaw Library, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University–Richmond, 1984–1986
MLA published statements about the fellow
- MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship. MLA News. 2015 May;55(5):9, 24.
- Personals (retirement). MLA News. 2014 Apr;54(4):7.
- MSLS, library, science, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1984
- BS, library and media studies, Reich College of Education, Appalachian State University, 1982
- Diploma, nursing, Watts Hospital School of Nursing, 1969