MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Ethical Awareness Task Force, member, 1992–2004; 2008–2009
- Board of Directors, member, 2006–2009
- Journal of the Medical Library Association, editor, 2002–2005
- Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, editor, 1999–2001
- Nominating Committee, member, 2001
- Informationist Task Force, member, 2001–2002
- 1990 National Program Committee, member, 1988–1990
- 1999 National Program Committee, member, 1997–1999
- Competencies Survey Advisory Committee, member, 1997–1998
- Medical Informatics Section, member, 1992–; Governmental Relations Committee, liaison, 1993–2001; planning coordinator for section participation in ICML 2000, 1998–2000
- Medical School Libraries Section, member, 1992–2000; chair-elect, 1998–1999; chair, 1999–2000
- Southern Chapter, MLA, member, 1996–;Nominating Committee, chapter nominee, 2013 and 2000; 2008 Annual Meeting, conference chair,2006–2008
- Midcontinental Chapter, MLA (MCMLA), member, 1987–; MLA Nominating Committee, chapter candidate, 1994–1995; Electronic Communications Ad Hoc Committee, member, 1994; Annual Meeting Planning Committee 1992, program cochair, 1990–1992; MCMLA Express, editor, 1988–1992
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2013
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 2011. Plutchak TS. Breaking the barriers of time and space: the dawning of the great age of librarians. J Med Lib Assoc. 2012 Jan;100(1):10–9 [Cited 2 Jun 2013].
- Research Award, 2nd place. [Poster: Expanding Our Reach: The Impact of Open Access on the Journal of the Medical Library Association. MLA ’06; Phoenix, AZ; May 19–24, 2006.]
- Estelle Brodman Academic Librarian of the Year, 2001
- Southern Chapter, Academic Librarian of the Year, 1999
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Senior Member, 1990–1995, Distinguished Member 1995–
- University of Wisconsin–Fox Valley, Outstanding Alumni Award, 2009
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Viewed as one of the most insightful philosophical thinkers of the profession with extensive knowledge of the system of scholarly communication
- Association of Academic Health Science Libraries (AAHSL), member, 1990–; Chicago Collaborative, founding representative, 2008–2012; AAHSL/Publisher Liaison Task Force, member, 2007–2010; Charting the Future Taskforce, member, 2001–2003; SPARC Co-operation Taskforce, member, 2001–2003; Scholarly Communication Taskforce, member, 2003–2006; Charting the Future Committee; chair, 2003–2006; National Library of Medicine/AAHSL Leadership Fellows program; mentor, 2003–2004 and 2009; Education Task Force, member, 1991–1992
- National Library of Medicine Working Group on Bioethics Literature, member, 2003
- Long-Range Planning Panel, member, 2005–
- BMJ Editorial Advisory Board, member, 2013–
- House Science and Technology Committee/Office of Science and Technology Policy Roundtable on Public Access to Federal Research and Data, member, 2009 [report and recommendations from the Scholarly Publishing Roundtable, January 2010]
- International Association of Scientific, Technical & Medical Publishers, Scientific, Technical & Medical Library Relations Committee, member, 2009–
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), Library Advisory Group, member, 2008–
- Founder and sustainer of the Bearded Pigs, the world’s first open access international librarian rock band
Publications (5 representative)
- Plutchak TS. Embracing open access [editorial]. J Med Lib Assoc. 2004 Jan;92(1):1–3.
- Plutchak TS. Sands shifting beneath our feet [editorial]. J Med Lib Assoc. 2002 Apr;90(2):161-3.
- Plutchak TS. Preservation [editorial]. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 2001 Oct;89(4):409–10.
- Plutchak TS, Wellik KE. Types of libraries and institutions. In: McClure L, ed. Health sciences environment and librarianship in health sciences libraries. New York, NY: Forbes Custom Publishing and Medical Library Association; 1999. p. 31–60. (Current Practice in Health Sciences Librarianship, v.7.)
- Plutchak TS. On the satisfied and inept end user. Med Ref Serv Q. 1989 Spring; 8(1):45–8.
- Director and Associate Professor, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences, University of Alabama–Birmingham, 1995–
- Associate Professor, Health Informatics Program, School of Health Related Professions, University of Alabama–Birmingham, 2000–
- Associate Director, Academic Programs Information Technology, University of Alabama–Birmingham, 1997–1999
- Director, Health Sciences Center Library, St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO, 1990–1995
- Acting Director, Medical Center Library, St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO, 1989–1990
- Associate Director, Medical Center Library, St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO, 1987–1990
- Technical Information Specialist, National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD,1984–1987
- Library Associate, National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD, 1983–1984
MLA published statements about the fellow
- MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship: MLA Fellowship. MLA News. 2013 May;53(5) [Cited 3 Jun 2013].
- Butros A. Health sciences environment and librarianship in health sciences libraries [book review] Bull Med Lib Assoc. 2000 Apr;88(2):201 [Cited Jun 2, 2013].
- Homan MJ. T. Scott Plutchak, twenty-third editor of the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 2000 Apr;88(2):195–6 [Cited 2 Jun 2013].
- Squires SJ, ed. Proceedings, 101st Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Orlando, Florida May 25–30, 2001: awards ceremony. J Med Lib Assoc. 2002 Jan;90(1):127-156. [Cited 2 Jun 2013].
- MA, library science, University of Wisconsin–Oshkosh, 1983
- BA, philosophy, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, 1979