See also Gerald J. Oppenheimer's Oral History Summary
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Board of Directors, 1974-77
- Annual Meeting Local Arrangements Committee, chair, 1976-77
- Finance Committee, chair, 1974-77
- Governmental Relations Committee, chair, 1984-85
- MLA/NLM Liaison Committee, chair, 1976-77
- Honors and Award Committee, chair, 1973-74
- Rittenhouse Award Subcommittee, chair, 1973-74
- Scholarship Committee, chair, 1969-70
Honors and Awards
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 1988
- Fellow, 1987
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Delta Phi Alpha
- Honorary Life Memberships: Canadian Health Librarians Association; Pacific Northwest Chapter/Medical Library Association; Washington Medical Librarians Association
Publications (5 representative)
- Oppenheimer GJ. Domus or polis? The location of values. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1988 Oct;76(4):306-16.
- Oppenheimer GJ. Information services for Pacific Northwest health professionals. Univ Washington Med 1974 1:24-32.
- Oppenheimer GJ. The Pacific Northwest Regional Health Sciences Library: a centralized operation. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1971 Apr;59 (2):237-41.
- Oppenheimer GJ, ed. Conference on Regional Medical Library Service in the Pacific Northwest (1966 : University of Washington) Regional medical library service in the Pacific Northwest; proceedings of an invitational conference. Seattle: University of Washington, 1967.
- Rheault MJ, Oppenheimer GJ, Nyhus LM. Portrait of the anatomist Alexander Thomson. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1965 Sep;121(3):601-6.
- Director Emeritus, Health Sciences Library and Information Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1988-present
- Director, Health Sciences Library and Information Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1963-87
- Director, Pacific Northwest Regional Health Sciences Library, Seattle, WA, 1968-87
- Head, Library Service and Information Program, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, 1971-77
- Manager, Information Services, Boeing Scientific Research Laboratories, Seattle, WA, 1960-63
- Fisheries/Oceanography Librarian, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1955-60
- Librarian, Technology Department, Seattle Public Library, Seattle, WA, 1953-55
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Medical Library Association. Summary of Oral History Interview with Gerald J. Oppenheimer. Interview conducted on June 25, 1999 by Diane McKenzie and Janet Schnall. Chicago, Medical Library Association, 2000. [cited July 16, 2003].
- Honors and Awards. Proceedings of the 86th Annual Meeting. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1987 Jan; 75(1):76.