MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Task Force on Vital Pathways for Hospital Librarians, Medical Education Committee, member, 2008–2009
- Section Council, Elections Committee, member, 2006–2008
- Nominating Committee, member, 2005–2006
- Ad Hoc Group to Develop Charge for Status of Hospital Librarians, member, 2004
- Board of Directors, member, 2001–2004
- Ad Hoc Task Force on MLA Chapter Council Symposium, chair, 1999–2000
- Chapter Council, chair, chair-elect, 2000–2004
- MLA continuing education developer and instructor (“Providing and Evaluating Electronic Full-text Information Delivery”), 1997–1998
- Continuing Education Committee, liaison 1996–1999
- Continuing Education Issues Committee, chair, 1996–1999
- Continuing Education Issues Newsletter, author and editor, 1996–1999
- Directory of Chapter Sponsored Continuing Education Courses, compiler and editor, 1996–1998
- Planning Committee for Chapter Sharing Roundtables, member, 1994–1995
- MLA Task Force on Hospital Library Certification, member, 1994–1995
- Hospital Libraries Section, member, 1985–
- Southern Chapter. Benchmarking Chapter Educator, 2000–; Chapter Council Representative 1997–2000, Alternate, 1994–1997; Bylaws Committee, Chair 1993–1994
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2008
- Southern Chapter, T. Mark Hodges Service Award, 2008; Honorary Membership, 2008
- Hospital Libraries Section, Scroll of Exemplary Service, 2002
- Lois Ann Colaianni Award for Excellence and Achievement in Hospital Librarianship, 1994
- Academy of Health Information Professional's (AHIP), Distinguished Member
- Informationist Conference, Bethesda, MD, invited attendee, April 4–5, 2002
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Medical Reference Services Quarterly, Hospital Information Services, column editor
Publications (5 representative)
- Schwartz DG, Blobaum PM, Shipman JP, Markwell LG, Marshall JG. The health sciences librarian in medical education: a vital pathways project task force. J Med Lib Assoc. 2009 Oct;97(4):280–4. [Cited 9Oct 2013].
- Dee CR, Markwell LG, Orick J. Bridges J, Barry M. What did they know and when did they know it: progress in helping clinicians reach decisions. Med Ref Serv Q. 2004;23 (4):75–85.
- Dee C, Wellik K, Cowen J, Markwell L, Just M. New roles: professional staff sharing between a hospital and an academic library. Med Ref Serv Q. 2003;22(4):65–73.
- Todd-Smith B, Markwell LG. The value of hospital library benchmarking. Med Ref Serv Q. 2002;21(3):85–95.
- Brunelle B, Corbett P, Markwell LG, Nagle E. Providing and evaluating electronic full text information delivery. Chicago, IL: Medical Library Association Continuing Education; .
- Head, Branch Library Services and Head, Grady Branch Library, Emory University Health Sciences Center Library, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 1992–
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Awards ceremony. Proceedings, 108th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Chicago, IL May 16–21, 2008: awards ceremony. J Med Lib Assoc. 2009 Jan;97(1):E1–E41 [Cited 13 Dec 2012].
- Linda Garr Markwell, AHIP, FMLA, to become an MLA Fellow at MLA ’08 in May [press release].