MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Nominating Committee, Member, 1987, 1998
- Advisory Board for Current Practice in Health Sciences Librarianship, Member, 1989–1998
- Platform for Change Implementation Task Force, Chair, 1993–1995
- Medical Informatics Section, Chair, 1993–1994
- National Program Committees, Member, 1981–1983; Member, 1985–1987; Chair 1985–1988
- Program and Convention Committee, Member, 1985–1988
- Joint MLA/Association of Academic Health Sciences Library Directors Legislative Task Force, Member, 1985–1989
- Committee on Committees, Member, 1982–1985
- Board of Directors, Member, 1982–1985
- MLA/National Library of Medicine Liaison Committee, Chair, 1984
- Legislation Committee, Chair, 1979–1981
- MLA News, “Capital Notes,” Contributing Editor, 1979–1981
- Ad Hoc Committee on White House Conference on Library and Information Services, Member, 1978–1980
- Medical Library Group of Southern California and Arizona, Member
- Mid-Atlantic Regional Group, President, 1977–1978
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Charleston (SC) League of Women Voters, President 2010–2011, Board of Directors, Member, 2009–
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Library Directors, Board of Directors, Member, 1994–1998
- National Science Foundation, Review Panel for Digital Libraries Initiative, Member, 1998
- National Library of Medicine, Biomedical Review Committee, Member, 1982–1986
- NLM Long-range Planning Panel #2, Member, 1985–1986
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1998
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Beta Phi Mu
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Senior Fellows, University of California–Los Angeles/Council on Library Resources
- Medical Library Group of Southern California and Arizona List of Notables
- National Library of Medicine, Medical Library Resource Project Grant, (G)*-LM04466-01; $521,392) for MELVYL MEDLINE Project for the University of California Library System, Co-Principal Investigator, 1986–1989
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Jenkins CG, Horres MM. Myrl Lua-Frances Ebert, October 20, 1913–May 5, 2001 [obituary]. J Med Lib Assoc. 2002 Jan;90(1) :123–24. [cited 13 Mar 2012].
- Horres MM, Starr SS, Renford BL. MELVYL MEDLINE: a library services perspective. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1991 Jul;79(3):309–20. [cited 13 Mar 2012].
- Horres MM, Bunting A. Interlibrary cooperation among health sciences libraries. In: Darling L, ed. Handbook of medical library practice. 4th ed. Chicago, IL: Medical Library Association; 1988.
- Horres MM, Hitt S. Renovation and expansion of an academic health sciences library. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1984 Jul;72(3)301–9. [cited 13 Mar 2012].
- Associate University Librarian for the Sciences, University of California–San Diego, 1989–1998
- Assistant University Librarian for the Sciences, University of California–San Diego, 1986–1989
- Director, Biomedical Library, University of California–San Diego, 1983–1998
- Associate Director, Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1977–1982
- Head of Circulation Services, Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1972–1977
- Librarian, School of Nursing, Duke University, Durham, NC, 1969–1972
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Zenan J. The Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries’ legislative activities and the Joint Medical Library Association/Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries Legislative Task Force. J Med Lib Assoc. 2003 Apr;91(2):168–72. [cited 13 Mar 2012]
- Squires SJ, ed. Presentation of awards. Proceedings, Ninety-eighth annual meeting, Medical Library Association, Inc., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, May 23-27, 1998. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1999 Jan;87(1)111–39. [cited 13 Mar 2012].
- BA, education, cum laude, University of South Carolina, 1967
- MS, library science, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1969
Contributed by Mary Horres