MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- President-Elect, 2016–2017
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee, member, 2016–2019
- Joint MLA/Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL) Legislative Task Force, member, 2008–2012, 2012–2016
- Scholarly Communications Committee, chair, 2012–2013
- Ad Hoc Committee for Advocating Scholarly Communication, chair, 2011–2012
- Leadership and Management Section: chair, 2007–2008; treasurer, 1999–2000
- Continuing Education Committee, chair, 1995–1996
- Mental Health Librarians Section: chair, 1978-1979, treasurer, 1986–1988
- Pittsburgh Chapter: chair, 1988–1989
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2016
- Janet Doe Lectureship, 2015
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member, 1990–present
- Ida and George Eliot Prize, 1981
- Certified Medical Librarian, 1976–1990
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- National Library of Medicine/Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries Leadership Fellows Program, mentor, 2010–2011
- Health Sciences Librarianship Training Program with the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare/National Institutes of Health, scholarship and stipend, Case Western Reserve University, 1972–1973
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL) Board of Directors, member, 2012–2015
- Association of American Medical Colleges, Group on Information Resources Steering Committee, member, 2008–2011
- Association of Mental Health Librarians, president, 1986–1987
Publications (5 representative)
- Epstein BA. In their own words: oral histories of MLA past presidents. J Med Libr Assoc. 2016 Jan;104(1):3–14. PMID: 26807047; PMCID: PMC4722639; DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.104.1.002.
- Sagahfi EM, Tannery NH, Epstein BA, Alman S, Tomer C. Development of a post-master’s online certificate in health sciences librarianship. J Med Libr Assoc. 2012 Oct;100(4):310–3. PMID: 23133333; PMCID: PMC3484948; DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.100.4.015.
- Epstein BA, Tannery NH, Wessel CB, Yarger F, LaDue J, Fiorillo AB. Development of a clinical information tool for the electronic medical record: a case study. J Med Libr Assoc. 2010 Jul;98(3):223–7. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.98.3.010.
- Epstein BA. A management case study: challenges of initiating an information service in molecular biology and genetics. J Med Libr Assoc. 2006 Jul;94(3):245–7. PMID: 16888655; PMCID: PMC1525304.
- Chattopadhyay A, Tannery NH, Silverman DAL, Bergen P, Epstein BA. Design and implementation of a library-based information service in molecular biology and genetics at the University of Pittsburgh. J Med Libr Assoc. 2006 Jul;94(3):307–13. PMID 16888665; PMC1525320.
- Director, 2004–present; Interim Director, 2003–2004; Associate Director, 1995–2003; Health Sciences Library System, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- Director, Middle Atlantic Region, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, National Library of Medicine, 2011–present
- Core Faculty, 1998–present; Affiliated Faculty, 1996–1998; Medical Informatics Training Program, Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA
- Director, 1985–1995; Associate Director, 1984–1985; Reference Librarian (Librarian III), 1978–1984; Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic (WPIC) Library, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- Cataloging/Reference Librarian (Librarian II) 1975–1978; Indexer, WPIC Research Department, 1974–1975; University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- Instructor/Developer, School of Library and Information Science, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 1979–1982
- Assistant Librarian, Carrick High School, Pittsburgh Board of Education, Pittsburgh, PA, 1973–1974
MLA published statements about the fellow
- MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship. MLA News. 2016 May;56(5):14. [cited 20 Jul 2016].
- President-Elect: Barbara A. Epstein, AHIP. MLA News. 2015 Nov/Dec;55(10):10–1. [cited 9 Sep 2016].
- MSLS, School of Library Science, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, 1973
- BA, magna cum laude, French and political science, University of Pittsburgh, PA, 1972