MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- National Program Committee, chair, 2011–2014
- Nominating Committee, member, 2012, 2005
- MLA Board of Directors, nominee, 2008
- Section Council, vice chair, 2011–2012
- Journal of the Medical Library Association (JMLA) associate editor, 2008–present
- JMLA Editor Search Committee, member, 2008, 2004
- JMLA Survey Task Force, member, 2009
- Section Council representative, 2001–2008
- Section Council SIG Committee, chair, 2006 –2008
- Center for Research and Education (CORE) Task Force, member, 2002–2005
- Academy of Health Information Professionals Mentor, 2003–
- Credentialing Committee, member, 2001–2004; chair, 2003–2004
- Lucretia W. McClure Excellence in Education Award Jury, member, 2000–2001
- Continuing Education Committee, member, 1996–2000, chair, 1999–2000
- Subcommittee on Instructor Approval Evaluation, and Support, member, 1993–1996, chair, 1996–1997
- MLA/Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL) JAMA Journal Review Panel, member,1994–2005
- Leadership and Management Section (LMS), chair-elect, 2010; chair, 2011, past-chair, 2012
- LMS Professional Development for Current and Aspiring Middle Managers Task Force, cochair, 2006–2007
- Research Section, secretary/treasurer, 2001–2003
- Midwest Chapter, Annual Meeting Continuing Education, chair, 2011–2013
- Annual Meeting Program Planning Committee, member, 2002–2004; Nominations and Elections Committee, chair, 1996; Annual Meeting Evaluation Committee, member,1994; Executive Board, representative-at-large, 1993–1994
Honors and Awards
- Fellowship, 2013
- Lucretia W. McClure Excellence in Education Award, 2005
- Research Section Honorable Mention, 2001
- Frank Bradway Rogers Information Advancement Award, 1998 [Joint Award for Health Web with Julia Kelly, Elaine Russo Martin, Ellen Nagle, Patricia Redman, and James Shedlock]
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member, 1995–
- Health Science Librarians of Illinois President’s Award, 2011.
- Woods Hole Medical Informatics Scholarship, 2006
- Alliance Library System, Technology Award, 2005
- National Library of Medicine (NLM)/AAHSL Leadership Fellowship, 2003–2004
- American Library Association (ALA) Library Instruction Round Table, “Top Twenty,” 1990
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Notable achievements in rural outreach and in teaching critical appraisal of the literature and evidence based medicine.
- NLM, Health Disparities Reactor Panel, member, 2004
- NLM, Advisory Panel on Planning and Evaluating Outreach Projects, member, 1997–1999
- AAHSL Teaching and Learning Committee, member, 2010–present; Leadership Committee, member, 2007–2010
- Alliance Library System, Advisory Council, member, 2007–2010
Publications (5 representative)
- Dorsch JL, Perry GJ. Evidence-based medicine at the intersection of research interests between health sciences librarians and medical educators: a review of the literature. J Med Lib Assoc. 2012 Oct;100(3):251–7. [cited 4 Jun 2013]. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.100.4.006.
- Bunnett B, Allee N, Dorsch J, Rios G, Stewart C. The National Library of Medicine/Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries Leadership Fellows Program : a year in review. J Lib Admin. 2009 Nov/Dec;49(8):869–79.
- Dorsch JL, Aiyer MK, Meyer L. Retention of EBM competencies. Med Ref Serv Q. 2006 Fall;25(3):45–57.
- Dorsch JL, Aiyer MK, Meyer LE. Impact of an evidence-based medicine curriculum on medical student attitudes and skills. J Med Lib Assoc. 2004 Oct;92(4):397–406. [cited 4 Jun 2013].
- Dorsch JL. Information needs of rural health professionals: a review of the literature. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 2000 Oct;88(4):346–54. [cited 4 Jun 2013].
- Regional Head Librarian and Professor, Library of the Health Sciences-Peoria, University of Illinois–Chicago, 2005–
- Health Sciences Librarian and Associate Professor, Library of the Health Sciences-Peoria, University of Illinois–Chicago, 2000–2005
- Assistant Health Sciences Librarian and Assistant Professor, Library of the Health Sciences-Peoria, University of Illinois–Chicago, 1992–2000
- Director/Consultant, Hopedale Medical Complex, Hopedale, IL, 1984–1990
- Reference Librarian, Illinois Valley Library System, 1980–1982
- Adult Services Librarian, Riverside Public Library, Riverside, IL, 1978–1979
MLA published statements about the fellow
- MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship. MLA News. 2013 May;53(5) [cited 3 Jun 2013].
- Fulda PO, Satterthwaite RK. Proceedings, 105th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. San Antonio, Texas May 14–19, 2005: awards ceremony. J Med Lib Assoc. 2006 Jan;94(1):e1–e34. [cited 5 Jun 2013].
- MALS, library science, Dominican University, River Forest, IL, 1978
- BA, English, University of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign, 1972