MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Past President’s Council, Chair, 1973–1974
- Vice President/President Elect, President, Past President 1971–1974
- Board of Directors, Member, 1960–1964
- Committee on the Central Office, Member, 1971–1974
- Medical Libraries Group, Chair, 1958–1959
- Exchange Committee, 1962–1965; Chair, 1963–1965
- Midwest Regional Chapter
- Executive Board, Chair, 1958–1959
- Annual Meeting Program Chair, 1954, l957, 1970
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Acquired large portions of the Royal Medical Society of Edinburgh’s Library for the University of Wisconsin
- Planned and oversaw construction of the William S. Middleton Medical Library, 1966
Honors and Awards
- Fellow 1974
- MLA Most Notable, 1998
- Certified Librarians, Charter member
- Wisconsin State Medical Association, Presidential Citation, 1962
- University of Wisconsin Medical Alumni Association, Emeritus Faculty Award, 1981
- Phi Beta Kappa
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Crawford H. Presidential address: crossroads. Proceedings, Seventy-second Annual Meeting, Medical Library Association, Kansas City, Missouri, May 27–31, 1973. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1974 Apr;62(2):177–249. [cited 28 May 2012].
- Crawford, H. The Royal Medical Society of Edinburgh: sale of its library at Sotheby’s. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1970 Oct;58(4):531–47. [cited 28 May 2012] .
- Consultant, Health Sciences Library, Texas Tech University–Lubbock, 1971–1972
- Medical Librarian and Associate Professor, William S. Middleton Health Sciences Library, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 1966–1971
- Librarian in Charge, School of Medicine Library, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 1945–1966
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Holtz V. Helen Crawford, 1906–1994 [obituary]. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1995 Apr;83(2):267–9. [cited 28 May 2012].
- Overmier J. Transcript of oral interview with Helen Crawford: 21 Nov 1978. (Print copies of the oral history can be found through the Regional Medical Libraries. An oral history summary and photo are available. [cited 28 May 2012].)
- Awards ceremony. Proceedings, Seventy-third Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. San Antonio, Texas, June 2–6, 1974. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1975 Jan;63(1):144–7. [cited 28 May 2012] .
- Holtz V. Helen Crawford, President, Medical Library Association, 1972–1973. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1972 Jul;60(3):496–8. [cited 28 May 2012].
- MLS, Graduate School of Library Science, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, 1945
- BS, Library Sciences, Simmons College, Atlanta, GA
- BA, German, University of North Dakota
(Birth 1906; Death 1994)
Contributed by Charles Sargent