See also Susan Crawford's Oral History Summary
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, Editor-in-Chief, 1982–1988, 1991–1992.
- Bulletin of the Medical Library Association Consulting Editors Panel, chair, 1982–1988.
- Medical Society Libraries Group, chair, 1977–1978;
- Committee on Surveys and Statistics, chair, 1966–1975; principal Investigator and consultant, 1975–1980
Honors and Awards
- 100 most notable in MLA, 1998
- Fellow, 1993
- President's Award, 1992
- Marcia C. Noyes Award, 1992
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member, 1990
- Special Award to Editor of the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, 1988
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 1983
- Eliot Award, 1976
- Distinguished Graduate Medal on Sixtieth Anniversary of the Faculty of Library and Information Science, University of Toronto, 1989.
- American Society for Information Science. Outstanding Specialty Group Award, to Chair, Medical Information Systems, 1988 and 1989
Board of Overseers, Tufts University, Boston, Massachusetts, 1988–1989.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Faculty of Library and Information Science, University of Toronto, 1987
- Special Award to Editor, Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, McGovern Foundation, Houston, TX, 1986
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1982
American Society for Information Science, Certificate of Appreciation to founder and editor of JASIS Perspectives, 1981
- International Steering Committee, Universal Guide for Contributors of Scientific Publications (The Vancouver Group); Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, Vancouver (1978) and Montreal (1979)
- Sigma Xi, 1978
- Certificate of Appreciation, U.S. Public Health Service, 1975
- Board of Regents, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health 1971–1975
- University of Chicago, doctoral research award, 1967–1969
- Pi Lambda Theta
- Who's Who in America
- American Men and Women of Science
- Who's Who Among American Women
- Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare
Publications (5 representative)
- Crawford S, Hurd J, Weller A. From print to electronic: the transformation of scientific communication. Washington, DC: American Society for Information Science,1996.
- Crawford S. The origin and development of a concept: the information society. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1983 Oct; 71:380-5.
- Crawford S., ed. Cognition: human information processing. J Amer Soc Info Sci 1981 Sep; 32:344-99. (JASIS Perspectives Series)
- Crawford S. Information needs and uses. Ann Rev Inform Sci Tech 1978;13: 61-81.
- Crawford S. Informal communication among scientists in sleep research. J Amer Soc Info Sci 1971 Sep-Oct; 22: 301-10 (Reprinted in: Key Papers in Information Science. Griffith BC, ed. Washington: American Society for Information Science, 1980).
- Adjunct Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago, School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, 1994 to present
- Professor and Director, Library and Biomedical Communications Center, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 1981-92
- Associate Professor, School of Library Service, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1972-75
- Director, Division of Library and Archival Services, American Medical Association, Chicago, IL, 1974-81
- Research Associate, Office of the Executive Vice President; Director, Archive-Library Department, American Medical Association, Chicago, IL, 1960-74
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Presentation of awards. Proceedings of the 93rd Annual Meeting. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1994 Jan; 82(1):122.
- Presentation of awards. Proceedings of the 92nd Annual Meeting. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1993 Jan; 81(1):114.