MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Nominating Committee, Elected Member, 2003, 1995
- Joint MLA/Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries Legislative Task Force, Chair, 1998–2000
- Ida and George Eliot Prize Jury, Chair, 1987–1988
- Finance Committee, Chair, 1985–1986
- Board of Directors, Member, 1984–1987
- Research Section, Chair, 1999–2000
- Medical Informatics Section, Chair, 1989–1990
- Upstate New York and Ontario Chapter, MLA Nominating Committee Nominee, 2003
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2009
- Research Award, Research Section, 2003
- Doctoral Fellowship, 1992
- Medical Informatics Course Fellow, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA, 2003
- RS Blackwell North American Scholarship Award, Association for Library Collections & Technical Services, 1991
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central
- Wagner KC, Byrd GD. Evaluating the effectiveness of clinical medical librarian programs: a systematic review of the literature. J Med Libr Assoc. 2004 Jan;92(1):14–33.
- Byrd GD, Shedlock J. The Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries Annual Statistics: an exploratory twenty-five year trend analysis. J Med Libr Assoc. 2003 Apr;91(2):186–202.
- Byrd GD. Medical faculty use of the journal literature, publishing productivity and the size of health sciences library journal collections. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1999 Jul;87(3):312–21.
- Byrd GD. An economic “commons” tragedy for research libraries: scholarly journal publishing and pricing trends. Coll Res Libr. May;51(3):184–95.
- Byrd GD, Thomas DA, Hughes KE. Collection development using interlibrary loan borrowing and acquisitions statistics. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1982 Jan;70(1):1–9.
- Director, Health Sciences Library, University at Buffalo (SUNY), Buffalo, NY, 1995–present
- Project Coordinator, Cooperative Information Resources Development, Triangle Research Libraries Network, Chapel Hill, NC, 1991–1994
- Assistant Director for Finance, Planning and Research, Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1989–1994
- Associate Director, Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1983–1989
- Acting Director, Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1986
- Chief Librarian, Health Sciences Library, University of Missouri–Kansas City, 1976–1983
- Assistant Director, Lommen Health Sciences Library, University of South Dakota–Vermillion, 1974–1976
- Technical Information Specialist, National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD, 1973–1974
- Library Associate, National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD, 1972–1973
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Proceedings of the 109th annual meeting of the Medical Library Association. J Med Libr Assoc. 2010 Jan;98(1):e8–e9. DOI: 10.3163/1559-9439.98.1.E1.
- Proceedings of the 92nd annual meeting: presentation of awards. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1993 Jan;81(1):113.
- Eldredge, J. The research mentor: interview with library researcher Gary Byrd. Hypothesis 2009 Spring;21(1):11–3.