See also Naomi C. Broering's Oral History Summary
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Nominating Committee, chair, 1998-99
- Past President, 1997-98
- President, 1996-97
- MLA Executive Committee, chair, 1996-97
- Board of Directors, chair, 1996-97, member 1995-98
- President Elect 1995-96
- Bulletin of the Medical Library Association (BMLA), editor, 1992-96
- BMLA Editorial Board, chair, 1992-96
- Board of Directors, member, 1979-1982
- Legislation Committee, chair, 1977-79
- MLA News, "Capital Notes," column, editor, 1977-79
- South Central Regional Group
- Membership Committee, liaison-SSC NN/LM, 1997
- Mid Atlantic Regional Group
- Chair, 1979-80
- By Laws Committee, chair, 1976-77
- Medical Library Group of Southern California
- Archivist, 1971
- Recruitment Committee, chair, 1970-71
Honors and Awards
- Marcia Noyes Award, 2003
- Fellow, 1989
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Frank B. Rogers Information Advancement Award, 1986
- Medical Librarian II, Certified, MLA, 1974, 1982, 1988
- Special Libraries Association (SLA), Winifred Sewell Award, 1999
- Georgetown University, Vicennial Award for Distinguished Service, 1995
- American College of Medical Informatics (ACMI), Fellow, 1989- present
- Special Libraries Association (SLA), Professional Award, 1987
- Veterans Administration, Performance Award, 1973
- USC School of Medicine, Dept. of Psychiatry, Commendation, 1968
- NIH- UCLA Fellowship, NLM postgraduate training award, UCLA Biomedical Library, 1966-67
- Pi Gamma Mu -- Social Science Honorary Society, 1961
- Gamma Theta Upsilon, National Geography Honorary Fraternity, 1961
- Cum Laude, BA California State University, Long Beach, CA, 1960
Publications (5 representative)
- Broering NC, ed. High performance medical libraries: advances in information management for the virtual era. Westport, CT: Meckler Publications, 1993:229.
- Broering NC. Strategic planning: IAIMS at Georgetown University Medical Center. Washington, DC: Georgetown University, 1986.
- Broering NC. Servicios de información de salud para el publico (HIP): el programa del NN/LM y recursos en español basado en el Internet (Health information services for the public: the NN/LM program and Internet-based Spanish resources). London, UK, July 2000. <www.icml.org>.
- Broering NC, Cannard B. Building bridges LIS-IAIMS-BioSYNTHESIS. Spec Libr 1988 Fall; 79(4): 302-13.
- Broering NC. The miniMEDLINE SYSTEM: A library based end-user search system. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1985 Apr; 73(2):138-45.
- Library Director, Herrick Community Health Care Library, Grossmont Healthcare District La Mesa, CA, 2002-present
- Sr. Substitute Librarian, San Diego County Public Libraries, San Diego, CA, 2001-present
- Editor, Friends of the National Institute of Dental & Craniofacial Research Online Newsletter, Washington, DC, 2001-2003
- Editor, Friends of the National Library of Medicine Update, E- Publication, Washington, DC, 1999-2003
- Chief Executive Officer, B/C Consultants, (Library and Financial Management Services) La Jolla, CA, 1999-present
- Executive Director and Director, NN/LM SCR-RML, Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library, Houston, TX, 1996-99
- Director, Biomedical Information Resources Center and Medical Center Librarian, Georgetown University Medical Center, Dahlgren Memorial Library, Washington, DC, 1978-96
- Associate Medical Center Librarian, Georgetown University Medical Center, Dahlgren Memorial Library, Washington, DC, 1975-78
- Staff Assistant, Manpower Grants, Chief, Readers Service, Medical Library, Veterans Administration, Washington, DC, 1972-75
- Assistant Librarian, Walter Reed General Hospital, Washington, DC, 1972
- Chief Librarian, Children's Hospital of Los Angeles, University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, 1968-71
- Acquisitions and Reference Librarian, Norris Medical Library, University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, 1967-68
- NIH Postgraduate Fellowship in Medical Librarianship, Biomedical Library, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, 1966-67
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Crawford S. Naomi C. Broering, Medical Library Association President, 1996-1997. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1996 Jul; 84(3):441-3.
- Presentation of awards. Proceedings of the 94th Annual Meeting. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1995 Jan; 83(1):125.
- Crawford S. Naomi C. Broering, twenty first editor of the Bulletin [editorial]. Bull Med Libr Assoc Jul 1992; 80(3):197.