MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Nominating Committee, Member, 1999
- Bulletin of Medical Library Association, Associate Editor, Buildings, 1996–1999
- Nominee, President-elect, 1994
- Nominating Committee, Member, 1990
- MLA News Editorial Committee, 1978–1981; Chair, 1980–1981
- South Central Chapter/MLA (SCC)
- Program Committee, Chair, 1990–1991
- Nominating Committee, 1999–2000
- Executive Committee, Member, 1979–1982
- Nominating Committee, Chair, 1981–1982
- President, 1980–1981
- National Library of Medicine, Biomedical Library Review Committee, 1986–1990
- Texas Council of State University Librarians, President, 1996–1998
- Council of Research and Academic Libraries of San Antonio (CORAL), President, 1986–1987
- AMIGOS Bibliographic Council, Board of Trustees, Member, 1986–1989
- National Library of Medicine grant 1-RO1-LMO3687-01 “Evaluation of Current Monograph Holdings,” Principal Investigator, March 1982–May 1983
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2000
- Louise Darling Medal for Distinguished Achievement in Collection Development in the Health Sciences, 1990
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Bexar Library Association, Julia Grothaus Award, 2003
- Council on Library Resources Fellowship, Current Monograph Acquisitions Patterns, 1978–1979
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Bowden VM, Wood FB, Warner DG, Olney CA, Olivier ER, Siegel ER. Health information Hispanic outreach in the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley. J Med Lib Assoc. 2006 Apr;94(2):180–9.
- Bowden VM. NLM resource grants: application and review. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1992 Apr;80(2):157–68.
- Bowden VM, Swanner S. Implementing change: the installation of an integrated library system at UTHSCSA. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1985 Jul;73(3):271–7.
- Bowden VM, Miller RB. MARCIVE: a cooperative, automated library system. J Lib Automation. 1974;7:183–200.
- Bowden CL, Bowden VM. A survey of information sources used by psychiatrists. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1971 Oct;59(4):603–8.
- Library Director, The University of Texas Health Science Center–San Antonio (UTHSCSA), 1985–2003
- Associate Library Director, UTHSCSA,1978–1985
- Assistant to the Director, UTHSCSA, 1974–1978
- Library Systems Analyst, UTHSCSA,1970-1974
- Senior Programmer, Bambergers Department Store, Newark, NJ, 1967–1968
- Senior Programmer, C.E.I.R., New York City, NY, 1965–1966
- Senior Programmer, American Medical Association, Chicago, IL, 1964–1965
- Programmer, Texaco, Houston, TX, 1960–1964
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Squires SJ, ed. Presentation of awards. Proceedings, One Hundredth Annual Meeting, Medical Library Association, Inc., Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, May 5–11, 2000. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 2001 Jan;89(1):109.
- PhD, University of Texas–Austin, 1994
- MSLS, University of Kentucky–Lexington, 1970
- BA, University of Texas–Austin, 1960
Contributed by Virginia Bowden