MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Handbook of Medical Library Practice, 4th ed., associate editor, 1976-88.
- “Guidelines for Academic Health Sciences Libraries”, expert reviewer, 1984-87.
- National Program Committee, Annual Meeting, Montreal, co-chair, 1981.
- MLA Bulletin, editorial consultant, 1976-78.
- MLA/NLM Task Force on the Impact of MEDLARS II on Cataloging and Classification, chair, 1974-75.
- Board of Directors, member, 1971-74.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1990
- Marcia C. Noyes Award (posthumous), 1990
- President’s Award, 1989
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 1976
- National Library of Medicine, Regional Medical Library Program, Certificate of “recognition and appreciation”, 1982
- Association of American Medical Colleges, Group on Public Relations, Distinguished Service Award, 1976
- Arizona State Library Association, Librarian of the Year 1970, 1971
Publications (5 representative)
- Bishop D. Information overload, and how to lighten it. Mobius 1986 Jul; 6(3): 47-53.
- Bishop D, Roberts J, Zinn NW. Bibliographic control of medical illustrations – a case study in the development of a library subsystem: I. Project planning, Bull Med Lib Assoc 1983 Jul; 71(3):263-68,. II. Project implementation. Bull Med Lib Assoc 1983 Jul; 71(3):269-73.
- Bishop D. On the uses of diversity: the Janet Doe Lecture for 1976. Bull Med Lib Assoc 1976 Oct; 64(4):349-55.
- Bishop D. Planning the new medical school library in relation to local and regional information resources. Bull Med Lib Assoc 1971 Apr; 59(2):292-95.
- Higdon TD, Bishop D. Advances in medical bibliographic control, 1954-1958 Part I. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1959 Jul; 47(3): 274-287.; Part II, Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1959 Oct; 47(4): 393-415.
- University Librarian & Associate Adjunct Professor, History of the Health Sciences, University of California-San Francisco, CA, 1977-1989.
- Director, Library of Medicine; Director, Midcontinental Regional Medical Program; & Associate Director, Clinical Neurology Information Center, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha NE, 1973-77.
- Medical Librarian, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, 1971-73.
- Librarian, Arizona Medical Center Library, Tucson AZ, 1965-1971.
- Serials Librarian, UCLA Biomedical Library, Los Angeles CA, 1963-65.
- Dental Librarian, UCLA Biomedical Library, Los Angeles CA, 1961-63 .
- Reference/Cataloging Librarian and then Head of Reference, Los Angeles County Medical Association Library, Los Angeles CA, 1958-61.
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Awards luncheon and ceremony. Proceedings, 90 th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Detroit, Michigan May 18-24, 1990. Bull Med Libr Assoc . 1991 January; 79(1): 134.[cited April 3, 2007] <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC225509/>
- Colaianni, LA. David Edward Bishop, 1928-1989. [obituary] Bull Med Lib Assoc 1990 Apr; 78(2) 213-4. [cited April 3, 2007] <http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagerender.fcgi?artid=225391&pageindex=1>
(Birth 1928; Death 1989)
Contributed by Lois Ann Colaianni, AHIP, FMLA, and Lisa Mix
Edited March 26 & April 12, 2007