MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Fellowship Conferred: 2007
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- National Program Committee, Local Assistance Committee, Cochair, 2008
- National Program Committee, Cochair, 2004–2006
- Co-instructor, CE 265, Library Director: Knowledge, Skills and Career Paths, developed in conjunction with the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries, and presented with Wayne Peay, University of Utah; Judy Messerle, Harvard University; and Rick Forsman, University of Colorado; at 2002 and 2003 MLA annual meetings
- Nominating Committee: Elected member, 1991, 2000
- Corporate Information Services Section: Web Editor, 2001–2006
- Bulletin of the Medical Library Association: Book Review Editor, 1989–1991; Editorial Board, Member 1989–1991, 2000–2003
- Board of Directors: Member, 1996–1999
- Medical Informatics Section, Chair, 1994–1995
- Medical Informatics News, Editor, 1992–1993
- Medical Informatics Section, Newsletter Committee, Chair, 1993–1995
- Medical Informatics Section (MIS), MIS Information Service (web page), Publisher, 1995–1998
- National Program Committee, Local Assistance Committee, Publicity and Promotions Subcommittee, Chair, 1992–1993
- Medical School Libraries Section, Chair, 1990–1991
- Interlibrary Loan and Resource Sharing Standards and Practices Committee, Chair, 1985–1986
- American Library Association, Reference and Adult Services Division, Interlibrary Loan Committee, Representative, 1985–1987
- Public Services Section, Executive Committee, Member, 1985–1988
- Section Council, Alternate Representative, Public Services Section, 1985–1988
- Bulletin of the Medical Library Association Editorial Board, Chair, 1981–1982
- Midwest Chapter, MLA Nominating Committee Candidate, 1993
- Midwest Chapter, Program Committee, Continuing Education Subcommittee, Member, 1985–1986
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter, Program Committee, Member, 1983–1984
Honors and Awards
- Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP): Member 1989–1990; Distinguished Member, 1991–2010; Certified Medical Librarian: 1977; renewed 1982, 1987
- Fellow, 2007
- Honorable Mention, Best Research Paper, Research Section, Medical Library Association, 2002
- ISI-Frank Bradway Rogers Information Advancement Award for contributions to the creation of HealthWeb, 1998
- Best Research Poster, Research Section, Medical Library Association, 1997
- National Library of Medicine, Biomedical Library and Informatics Review Committee, Member, 2005–2009
- Institute of Medicine of Chicago, Fellow, 1996
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical
Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Shedlock J, Frisque M, Hunt S, Walton LJ, Handler J, Gillam M. Case study: the Health SmartLibrary experiences in web personalization and customization at the Galter Health Sciences Library, Northwestern University. J Med Libr Assoc. 2010 Apr;98(2):98–104 [cited 16 Mar 2011].
- Shedlock J, Walton L. An academic medical library using LibQUAL+: the experience of the Galter Health Sciences Library, Northwestern University. J Libr Admin. 2004;40(3/4):99–110.
- Shedlock J, Byrd G. The Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries Annual Statistics: a thematic history. J Med Libr Assoc. 2003 Apr;91(2):178–85 [cited 16 Mar 2011].
- Byrd G, Shedlock J. The Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries Annual Statistics: an exploratory 25-year trend analysis. J Med Libr Assoc. 2003 Apr;91(2):186–202 [cited 16 Mar 2011].
- Ludwig L, Shedlock J, Watson L, Dahlen K, Jenkins C. Designing a library: everyone on the same page? Bull Med Libr Assoc. 2001 Apr;89(2):204–11 [cited 16 Mar 2011].
- Shedlock J, Ross F. A library for the twenty-first century: the Galter Health Sciences Library’s renovation and expansion project. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1997 Apr;85(2):176–86 [cited 16 Mar 2011].
- Shedlock J. The Galter Health Sciences Library at Northwestern University: a library for the 21st century. Presented at the National Library of Medicine/University of Maryland at Baltimore Symposium on Building the Library/Information Center of the Future; Bethesda, MD; 7–8 Apr 1994. Published in the Proceedings of the symposium. Comput Meth Programs Med. 1994;44:227–35.
- Director, Galter Health Sciences Library, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, 1991–
- Associate Director, Galter Health Sciences Library, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, 1988–1991
- Head of Public Services, Archibald Church Medical Library, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, 1985–1988
- Assistant Head of Information Services, Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1984–1985
- Coordinator of Online Search Services, Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill,1983–1985
- Document Delivery Librarian, Vera Shiffman Medical Library, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1979–1982
- Reference-Serials Librarian, St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, Pontiac, MI, 1977–1979
MLA published statements about the fellow
Edited March 16, 2011