MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Joanne Gard Marshall
Fellowship Conferred: 2002
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- President, Vice-President, Immediate Past President, 2003–2006
- Benchmarking Taskforce, Member, 1999–2000
- National Program Committee, Cochair, 2000
- Canadian Health Libraries Association, Liaison, 1997–2000
- Implementation Task Force for the MLA Research Policy Statement, Chair, 1996–1999
- Board of Directors, Member, 1994–1997
- Nominating Committee, Member, 1990, 1999, 2006, 2011
- President’s Task Force on the MLA Research Policy, Member, 1992–1995
- Think Tank on the MLA Research Agenda, Member, 1992
- Library Research Section, Section Council Alternate, 1991–1993
- President’s Task force to Update the MLA Research Policy, Member, 2005–2007
- Medical Library Education Section, Chair, 2007–2008
- Consumer and Patient Health Information Section, Nominating Committee, Member, 1992; Chair 1997–1998
- Upstate New York and Ontario Chapter
- Annual Meeting Planning Committee, 1988, 1993
- Ad Hoc Research Committee, Chair 1990–1991
- Continuing Education Committee, Chair 1988–1990
- Chair, Fourth International Conference on Evidence-based Library and Information Practice, Chapel Hill-Durham, NC, May 6–11, 2007, www.eblip4.unc.edu
- Board of Scientific Counselors, National Library of Medicine, 1997–2000
- Canadian Health Libraries Association, Board of Directors, 1988–1990
- Special Libraries Association (SLA):
- Special Committee to Update the Competencies for Special Librarians, Chair, 2001–2002
- Special Committee on the Competencies for Special Librarians, Chair, 1995–1997
- Special Committee to Update the SLA Research Policy, Member, 1995–1997
Honors and Awards
- Donald A. B. Lindberg Fellowship, Medical Library Association, 2010
- Fellow, Medical Library Association, 2002
- Ida and George Eliot Prize, 1993
- Research and Development Award, 1991
- MLA/ISI Doctoral Fellowship, 1987
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Special Libraries Association, Factiva Leadership Award, 2004
- Special Libraries Association, Fellow, 2001
- Special Libraries Association, Winifred Sewell Prize for Innovation in Information Technologies, 2000
- Special Libraries Association, John Cotton Dana Award, 1998
- Special Libraries Association, Certificate of Achievement, 1995
- Canadian Health Libraries Association, Award of Outstanding Achievement, 1992
- Canadian Health Libraries Association, Honorary Life Member, 2000
- H. W. Wilson Award, 1997
- Fellow, Special Libraries Association, 2001
- Special Libraries Association Toronto Chapter, Award of Outstanding Achievement, 1992
- American Society for Information Science (ASIS), Doctoral Symposium Paper Prize. 1987.
- National Health Research and Development Program, Health and Welfare Canada, Doctoral Fellowship, 1985–1987
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PMC.
- Morgan, JC, Marshall JG, Marshall VW, Thompson C. Designing and implementing a career retrospective web-based survey of library and information science graduates. Lib Trends. 2009 Fall;58(2):155–66.
- Marshall JG. Measuring the value of library and information services: past reflections, future possibilities. Health Info Lib J. 2007 Dec;24(S1):4–17. [cited 3 Feb 2012].
- Marshall JG, Fitzgerald D, Busby L, Heaton G. A study of library use in traditional and problem based medical curricula. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1993 Jul;81(3):299–305. (Reprinted in Rankin J, ed. Handbook on problem-based learning. Chicago, IL: Medical Library Association; 1999.)
- Marshall JG. The impact of the hospital library on clinical decision-making: the Rochester Study. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1992 Apr;80(2):169–78. [cited 3 Feb 2012].
- Marshall JG. Characteristics of early adopters of end-user online searching in the health-professions. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1989 Jan;77(1):48–55. [cited 3 Feb 2012].
- Alumni Distinguished Professor, School of Information and Library Science, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill (UNC), 2004–
- Senior Research Scientist, UNC Institute on Aging, 2005–
- Dean and Professor, School of Information and Library Science, UNC, 1999–2004
- Professor,1996–1998; Associate Professor, 1993–1996; Assistant Professor, 1987–1993; Faculty of Information Studies, University of Toronto, ON, Canada, 1987–1998
- Librarian/Researcher. Continuing Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, ON, Canada, 1983–1987
- Director of Information Services, Palliative Care Foundation, Toronto, ON, Canada, 1983
- Librarian, Health Sciences Library, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada, 1970–1982
- Reference and Orientation Librarian, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada, 1968–1969
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Awards ceremony. Proceedings, 110th Annual Meeting, Medical Library Association, Inc., Washington, DC, May 21–26, 2010. J Med Lib Assoc. 2011 Jan;99(1):E1–E45. [cited 3 Feb 2102]. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.99.1.E1.
- Awards ceremony. Proceedings of the 104th Annual Meeting, Medical Library Association, Washington, DC, May 21–26, 2004. J Med Lib Assoc. 2005 Jan;93(1):162–3. [cited 20 Apr 2006].
- Fitzgerald D. Joanne Gard Marshall, AHIP, FMLA, Medical Library Association President 2004–2005. J Med Lib Assoc. 2004 Jul;92(3):302–5. [cited 3 Feb 2102].
- DLit, McGill University, 2005
- PhD, Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto,1987
- MHSc, Health Sciences, McMaster University, Faculty of Health Sciences, 1978
- MLS, Library Science, McGill University, 1968
- BA, English and History, University of Calgary, 1966
Contributed by Joanne Marshall; 2012