MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Joseph Leiter, 1915-2005
Fellowship Conferred: 1983
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- MLA/NLM Relations Committee, NLM representative.
Honors and Awards
- Marcia C. Noyes Award, 1989
- Establishment of the Joseph Leiter NLM/MLA Lectureship, 1984
- Fellow, 1983
- Assistant Secretary for Health’s Award for Exceptional Achievement, 1983
- NLM Director’s Award, 1980
- DHEW Superior Service Award, 1978
- Who’s Who in Government, 1975-76
- American Men and Women of Science. Physical and Biological Sciences, 1972
- Leiter J. Information services. Science 1982 Sep; (217):982.
- Kassenbaum L, Leiter J. Training and continuing education for on-line searching. Med Inform (Lond). 1978 Sep; (3):165-75.
- Eisenberg LJ, Standing RA, Tidball CS, Leiter J. MEDLEARN: a computer-assisted instruction (CAI) program for MEDLARS. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1978 Jan; (66):6-13. [cited April 12, 2007] <http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/pagerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&pageindex=1&artid=225291>
- McCarn DB, Leiter J. On-line services in medicine and beyond. Science 1973 Jul; (181):318-24.
- Associate Director, Library Operations, National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD, 1965-83
- Consultant, National Cancer Institute; National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD, 1965
- Chief, Cancer Chemotherapy, National Service Center, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda MD, 1963-65
- Assistant Chief, Cancer Chemotherapy, National Service Center, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda MD, 1956-63
- Consultant screening National Service Center, National Cancer institute, Bethesda MD, 1955-56
- From Chemist to Head Biochemistry Section, Laboratory of Chemical Pharmacology, National
- Cancer Institute, Bethesda MD, 1938-55
- Chemist, National Bureau of Standards, Washington DC, 1935-38
MLA published statements about the fellow
Contributed by Lois Ann Colaianni, AHIP, FMLA
Edited March 26, 2007 & April 12, 2007