MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Fellowship Conferred: 1993
Accomplishments and Activities
- Current Contents, Columnist, 1962–1993
- The Scientists, Commentaries, Columnist, 1986–
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1993
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- American Philosophical Society, Philadelphia, PA, Elected Member, 2007
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Elected Fellow, 2005
- PhD (Honorary) Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, 2004
- MD, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic, 1995
- MD, Universita Di Roma Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy, 1994
- Doctorate of Letters, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, 1991
- Doctorate of Humane Letters, State University of New York–Albany, 1990
- PhD, Vrije University, Brussels, Belgium, 1988
- John Price Wetherill Medal, Franklin Institute, Philadelphia, PA, 1984
- American Chemical Society, Patterson-Crane Award, 1983
- American Society for Information Science & Technology, Award of Merit, 1975
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Fellow
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Garfield E, Pudovkin AI, Paris S. A bibliometric and historiographic analysis of the work of Tony van Raan: a tribute to a scientometrics pioneer and gatekeeper. Res Eval. 2010 Sep;19(3):161–72.
- Garfield E. Essays of an information scientist [15 volumes]. ISI Press; 1962–1993.
- Garfield E, ed. Transliterated dictionary of the Russian lLanguage. ISI Press; 1979.
- Garfield E. Citation analysis as a tool in journal evaluation. Science. 1972 Nov 3;178(4060):471–9. [cited 1367 times].
- Garfield E. Citation indexing for studying science. Nature. 1970 Aug 15;227(5259):669–71. [cited 587 times].
- Garfield E. The role of the medical librarian in SDI systems. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1969 Oct;57(4):348–51. [cited 13 Mar 2012].
- Chair Emeritus, ThomsonReuters (IP and Science) , 1993–
- Publisher and Owner, The Scientist, 1986–
- Chairman Emeritus, Institute for Scientific Information, Philadelphia, PA, 1994–
- Chairman and Founder, Institute for Scientific Information, Philadelphia, PA, 1960–1993.
- Adjunct Professor, Information Science, University of Pennsylvania, 1974–
- President, Eugene Garfield Associates, Philadelphia, PA, 1954–1960
MLA published statements about the fellow
- BS, chemistry, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1949
- MS, library science, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1954
- PhD, linguistics, University of Pennsylvania, 1961
Contributed by Eugene Garfield; 2012