MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Rick Brian Forsman
Fellowship Conferred: 1999
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Task Force to Review the Academy of Health Information Professionals,
- Nominating Committee, 1988 and 1998
- Medical School Libraries Section, chair, 1991-92
- National Program Committee, chair, 1990-93
- Professional Recognition Review Panel, chair, 1988-90
- Technical Services Section, chair, 1984-85
- Technical Services Section, representative to Section Council, 1982-84
- Section Council, member, 1982-84
Honors and Awards
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 2004
- Fellow, 1999
- Continuing Education Award, 1988
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Senior Fellow, Palmer School of Library and Information Science, Long
Island University, 1997
- Nominee for 1989 award for Colorado Outstanding State Manager, 1989
- U.S. Public Health Service Medical Library Trainee, 1973-74
Publications (5 representative)
- Forsman R. ed. Administration and management
in health sciences libraries. Lanham, MD: Medical Library Association
and Scarecrow Press, 2000 (Current Practice in Health Sciences Librarianship,
- Forsman R. Managing the electronic resources transforming research
libraries : challenges in the dynamic digital environment. Adv Libr
1998; 22 : 1-19.
- Forsman R, Nelson P. The Academy of Health Information Professionals
: a review of the first five years. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1997 Oct; 85(4):362-72.
- Forsman R, guest ed. Consumer health information issue. Colorado Libr
1994 Summer; 20(2).
- Forsman R. Incorporating organizational values into the strategic
planning process. J Acad Libr 1990 Jul; 16(3):150-3.
- Director and Associate Professor, Denison Memorial Library, University
of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, 1992-present
- Deputy Director; Associate Director for Technical Systems,Denison
Memorial Library, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver,
- Associate Director for Technical Services, Lister Hill Library of
the Health Sciences, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL, 1979-85
- Cataloging Librarian (Head), Lyman Maynard Stowe Library, University
of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT, 1975-79
- Reader Services and Biomedical Librarian, Carrol College Library,
Helena, MT, 1974-75
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Presentation of awards. Proceedings
of the 99th Annual Meeting. Bull Med Libr Assoc 2000 Jan; 88(1):112-3.
[cited June 1, 2003]. <http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=122099>.
Edited September 2, 2003