MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Thomas G. Basler, Ph.D.
Fellowship Conferred: 2004
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Murray Gottleib Prize (History of Medicine), Chair, 1974–1975
- National Program Committee, Co-Chair, 1971
- Southern Chapter, Medical Library Association, Chair, 1975–1976
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2004
- MLA/NLM. Medical Library Intern. A. W. Calhoun Medical Library, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, 1964–1965
- First M.H. Libbey Memorial Address. “Yesterday and Today: Pride in Georgia Health Sciences Librarianship.” Georgia Health Sciences Library Association, 1991
- National Library of Medicine, Biomedical Library Review Committee, member July 1996-June 2000. Chair, 1999-2001.
- Listed in 20+ various Who's Who in America & International
Publications (5 representative)
- Basler TG, McKeehan N, Anderson, CE. Empowering health sciences students through the worldwide web - a lifelong learning concept. Proceedings of the Pacific Medical Technology Symposium, proceedings, August 17-20, 1998. Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE Computer Society, 1998.
- Basler TG, Mims DH, Smoot SJ. Linking the physical past to the program future: new library addition at the Medical College of Georgia. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1983 Oct; 71(4): 386-90
- Basler, TG. The medical school library directorship: its changing functions as represented by the past two decades and its current job description. Doctoral dissertation. 1977.
- Basler BK, Basler TG. Health science librarianship: a guide to information sources. Detroit, MI: Gale Research Company, 1977. (Books, Publishing and Libraries Information Guide Series, v. 1).
- Spencer DA, Basler TG, Coleman TH Jr, Willbanks FL. Rank and promotion of library faculty in a health sciences university. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1977 Jul; 65(3): 342-8 .
- Director of Libraries and Learning Resource Centers, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, April 1991-present.
- Professor (tenured) and Chairman of the Department of Library Science & Informatics, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, April 1991-present.
- Director of Information System, Environmental Hazards Assessment Program (EHAP) at the Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, 1993-98.
- Director of Libraries and Professor, Robert B. Greenblatt Library, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA, 1972-91.
- Librarian, New York Academy of Medicine, New York, NY, 1970-72.
- Director, Regional Medical Library Program of New York and Northern New Jersey, New York Academy of Medicine, New York, NY, 1971-72.
- Librarian and Department Chairman, The American Museum of Natural History, New York, NY, 1968-70.
- Librarian and Assistant Professor, Institute of Marine Sciences, University of Miami, Miami, FL, 1966-68
Edited June 17, 2004