The Academy of Health Information Professionals
Hints for a Successful Academy Portfolio
- Review the requirements for your membership level at least once per year.
- If you are applying at the senior or distinguished level, review the professional association/MLA point requirements. If you do not have these points, make plans to earn them.
- As you earn points, place electronic copies of the documentation into your member documents area.
- Use the most current application forms available, which can be found on the AHIP forms page.
- Download and complete the writeable PDF forms or Word documents. MLA will only accept electronic submissions, via a member's documents area or via email (for nonmembers only).
- Read instructions carefully, especially the requirements for point distributions for the level at which you are applying.
- Make sure the activities you are documenting have occurred (or were completed) in the five years covered by the portfolio.
- Make sure you upload to your member documents area the appropriate supporting documentation.
- Please make sure your name is on each supporting document. Highlight your name on pages from programs and officer or committee lists.
- Document a few more points than necessary. If there is a problem with some of the points you've claimed, you'll have extra points as a cushion.
If you have questions, please contact Kathleen Combs, MLA's Director of Professional Development.