The Academy of Health Information Professionals
Am I Eligible?
Admission to the academy is based on three areas of achievement: academic
preparation, professional work experience, and individual professional accomplishments,
including participation in professional organizations. Applicants may
apply for membership in the academy at any of the five membership levels.
The level at which you should apply depends upon your level of achievement
in these three areas.
There are two ways to determine the level at which you should apply:
review a summary of the requirements
for all levels or follow the steps below.
Step 1: Academic Preparation
All five levels of membership require a master's degree.
- Do you have a master's degree in library and
information science from an ALA-accredited
program? If so, continue to step 2.
- Do you have another master's degree? If so, you are required to document
coursework in all seven professional competencies. The level at which you will apply depends upon your achievement in these areas. Continue to a description
of the professional competencies.
Step 2: Relevant Experience in Information Science
The experience required for each academy membership level is shown below.
Usually, only professional experience following receipt of the master's
degree is considered for academy membership. Calculate the full-time
equivalent for part-time employment using the method described in the
glossary (see employment, length
Years of Experience
|If you are currently employed
in the information field, and have less than five years experience...
OR are seeking employment in the field, and currently have less
than five years experience in the field...
...consider applying at the Provisional
| If you have worked in
the information field for five years or more...
...consider applying at the Member
or Senior Member level.
If you have worked in the information field
for ten years or more...
...consider applying at the Distinguished
If you have been a member of the academy at any level
(except provisional) at the time of retirement and have been credentialed
by MLA for at least ten consecutive years at the time of retirement...
...consider applying at the Emeritus
If you will be applying as a provisional member, continue to the application
process. If not, continue to step 3.
Special Circumstances: MLA has found that because of the economic recession, some medical librarians are no longer full-time medical librarians, have left the field, or have become different types of librarians. We know that those who want to move into, remain in, or come back to the health sciences librarian field want AHIP membership. To help members succeed with AHIP, the MLA Board of Directors has approved the following changes to the job requirements for AHIP starting May 1, 2012.
The changes to the program requirements allow librarians who are not currently practicing in the health sciences librarianship field to join AHIP and renew AHIP membership by following these guidelines:
- New applicants without five years of experience in an information professional position will still apply for AHIP membership at the provisional level. Please note: Upon renewal one year later, the provisional member is required to show evidence of employment in the field via an employer letter.
- Applicants who already have AHIP membership but lose their position in the health sciences will be able to renew at their current level of membership or apply for a higher level as long as they meet all other AHIP requirements.
- New applicants who have five years of professional experience who have recently lost their jobs or had their hours reduced are still eligible to join AHIP at any level as long as they meet all other AHIP requirements.
- Other special employment circumstances will be reviewed by the Credentialing Committee on an individual basis.
AHIP requirements that must be met by all applicants:
- Must meet the current AHIP requirements for sponsored instruction and individual professional accomplishments,
- Must meet the current AHIP educational requirements,
- Must have all current requirements for their AHIP level (i.e., fifty points for member, eighty points for senior with at least five points from professional organization activities, and 120 points for distinguished with at least ten points from professional organization activities), and
- Points will still need to be health sciences library or health information–related, not just library activities or courses, with the rationale that applicants will be improving their health sciences medical librarianship knowledgebase and skills in the profession.
Step 3: Professional Accomplishments
Applicants must document a minimum number of points of professional accomplishment
achieved during the previous five (5) years. These accomplishments must
be in areas contributing to the effectiveness of the health information
profession and include continuing education, teaching, publishing, research,
and association participation. Acceptable continuing education and individual
accomplishments are listed in the point
The distribution of points is different for each level of academy membership. Use form LEDGER and the point
index to determine the number of points you have earned in the
past five years.
Step 4: Tallying Professional Accomplishment Points
Use the form LEDGER and point
index to determine the number of points you have earned in the past
are not required to show professional accomplishments completed prior
to membership in the academy. If you will be applying at the provisional
member level, continue to the application
|| 50 points
of professional accomplishment within the past five years.
of professional accomplishment within the past five years. No more
than 50 of these points may be sponsored instruction (continuing education
activities). At least 5 points must be professional
120 points of professional accomplishment
within the past five years. No more than 50 of these points
may be sponsored instruction (continuing education activities).
At least 10 points must be professional
association activities; at least 5 of the 10 must be MLA
No points required. Must be A member of AHIP
at any level (except provisional) at the time of retirement and
have been credentialed by MLA for at least ten consecutive
years at the time of retirement.
Now that you know the academy membership level for which you qualify . . . continue to the application process!